all these eggs!!!

Discussion in 'Egg, Chicken, & Other Favorite Recipes' started by watsonlane, Apr 7, 2012.

1. watsonlane

watsonlane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    I have so many eggs!!!! What can i do with them? Food pantry wont take them....ive given to everyone so whats next?

2. Habibs Hens

Habibs Hens Cream Legbar Keeper

Mar 31, 2012
    London, UK
    My Coop
    Worlds largest Omlette

:)

3. watsonlane

watsonlane Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2010
    I know! I have 8packs of 18!!!!!

4. jomoncon

jomoncon Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 24, 2010
    New Orleans, LA
    Before I started selling my eggs, I also had an overabundance. I took them all to the local fire house. Those guys work hard & certainly appreciated them.

5. wvgal61

wvgal61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Troutman, nc
    Have you tried a homeless shelter, or battered womens shelter?

6. wvgal61

wvgal61 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 28, 2010
    Troutman, nc
    scramble them and feed them back to the chickens [​IMG]

7. jeepguy982001

jeepguy982001 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 4, 2011
    athens, wv
    if the food pantry won't take them maybe call up some churches in there area. They probably have some members struggling and would love some free eggs, especially since you can use them for pretty much everything. Or like the other poster said you can always feed them back to the chickens.

8. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    The Senior Center. They cook lunches for their members and are usually the people doing meals on wheels.

Go down to the unemployment office and hand them out. Those people genuinely could use some help.

I am assuming that you can't sell them? A little money back to help with the cost of feed is nice.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2012
  9. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 5, 2008
    Ohio
    This is what Iam doing with mine.

Pickled eggs
    12 large eggs
    1 1/2 cups white vinegar
    1 1/2 cups water
    1 Tbls pickling spice
    1 clove garlic crushed
    1 bay leaf
    boil and peel eggs.
    boil in med sauce pan vinegar, water, and pickling spice. Bring to a boil and add garlic and bay leaf.
    Remove from heat, transfer eggs to jars, fill with vinegar mixture over eggs. seal and refridgerate 10 days before serving.

10. minpinmama

minpinmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 24, 2010
    I'm just getting back into chickens so don't have that problem yet. However when I use to have them years back before I put mine for sale
    I would break them over and freeze the eggs in zip lock bags. They are fine for scrambled eggs and casseroles like 'grits casserole'
    Are you in an area you can put a sign by the road "FRESH EGGS"
    When I sold them my chickens could lay fast enough and I kept the same customers for years.
    They would laugh cause occasionally I'd sell and someone would come along asking for a dozen, I'd have maybe 9 or 10.
    I'd ask the customer to wait until I checked the coop (I checked several times a day anyway.
    I jokingly became know as the place to get 'Eggs Laid to Order' they were certainly always fresh.

Have you considered marketing to crafters? Yes some will use chicken eggs not just duck and turkey eggs.
    Ebay some hand blown eggs on ebay. blow em out, clean em and use the insides for scrambling (or freezing)
    and you can advertise blown eggs in the craft section of Craigs List.
    Know any pig raisers? I bet they'd love em.
    Here is a recipe for Grits casserole. May sound weird but its quite yummy.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2012

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by