All things Rooster... I've got questions.

PurpleDaze

Songster
May 12, 2020
Central Texas
Hello,
I've been wondering if my 11 week old Buff Polish chick might be a roo. Since this is our first time ever having chickens I have some questions. (I have also posted pictures in another thread specifically asking thoughts on whether she is a pullet or roo. They said wait a few more weeks and post more pictures.)

So my questions are...
1. Do Roosters feather out slower than hens?
2. Do Roosters go into the hen house first or last?
3. Do Roosters call the hens into the hen house at night?
4. When do Roosters start to crow?

Also...
5. Can Polish chickens be Bantams? (Which I believe means they are smaller than normal, is that right?)

Yes polish can be bantams. They do call the hens into the hen house sometimes lr it could be a dominant hen. My polish roo waits for the hens to go in first. They crow at five months. Polish roosters have a punk rock look.

Attachments

• Screenshot_2020-07-18-21-56-16.png
    Screenshot_2020-07-18-21-56-16.png
    1.6 MB · Views: 2
Answers for your questions;

1. It depends on the breed/line/individual/parents.
2. It depends on the rooster. Some go in first, some go in last.
3. They can, but all roosters are different so some won’t.
4. Roosters crow at different times depending on the individual. Some start early, some don’t start crowing till the hens start laying. It really depends.
5. I would assume so, but I could be wrong. (Yes, bantam chickens are smaller then large fowl birds.)

I hope that helped you a bit.

Cockerels feather out and usually grow faster than pullets.

Cockerels usually go in first to check the coop then come out to wrangle everyone in then they go back in (this isn’t experience from 6 years of having them).

Cockerels will call them in at night. Usually the flock has a routine and order they follow every day for coop order at night.

Cockerels can crowds early as 8 weeks. Usually 12-14 weeks is normal.

Yes, Polish can be bantam. I have a bantam gold laced polish hen.

They are considered cockerels until they are a year old then they are called roosters. Just like pullets are pullets until they are a year old.

I have been wondering if our Buff Polish was a bantam as well because she has always been so much smaller than the other chicks. Our Golden is a week older but the size difference at the same ages is huge. She also feathered out much slower than the other chicks her same age as well. For awhile I thought she may be a runt (if that's even a thing with chickens). With her being small and feathering out slower it's hard to tell by her comb and tail feathers if she is in deed a Pullet or Cockerel.

Hello,
I've been wondering if my 11 week old Buff Polish chick might be a roo. Since this is our first time ever having chickens I have some questions. (I have also posted pictures in another thread specifically asking thoughts on whether she is a pullet or roo. They said wait a few more weeks and post more pictures.)

So my questions are...
1. Do Roosters feather out slower than hens?
2. Do Roosters go into the hen house first or last?
3. Do Roosters call the hens into the hen house at night?
4. When do Roosters start to crow?

Also...

5. Can Polish chickens be Bantams? (Which I believe means they are smaller than normal, is that right?)
1 No they usually feather out faster
2/3 depends on the rooster my king of the coop stands on there coop door and crow's and impatiently waits till everyone including my ducks and rabbits are all in the coop then he goes in
4 they crow at 9-14wks and it is so funny when they start it sounds like a teenage boy going through puberty its great
5 yes they can be bantams and they are so cute i have a silkie bantam and it is so cute and if yours is a bantam do be to impatient they grow so slow

Attachments

• 20200716_165459.jpg
    20200716_165459.jpg
    556.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20200717_192649.jpg
    20200717_192649.jpg
    715.6 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom