All those extra roosters

I have just gone through this. I'm a newbie, got my first day old pullets last spring. One grew up to be a rooster, a BIG and sometimes mean one. I never wanted a rooster, which is why I bought pullets... but there he was. After a bad attack where he drew lots of blood on me, and observing he was sometimes getting rough with the hens, I knew he'd have to go but was torn. It wasn't his fault he was a roo. Then a hen went broody. She hatched 3 cute lil chicks and took great care of them for a month, then weaned them. By six weeks I was concerned that I had a baby roo-- but figured he would replace the older one who was going to have to leave. (His aggression to me was managed by me carrying a stick for protection every time I entered their pen or coop.) Then I got more worried, that maybe two of the three chicks were male. It turned out all three were roos.

By 12 weeks, they were crowing. They were not integrated to the flock. One was mean as the devil and would attack hens, running up behind them and grabbing their necks. The other two hung out together, but were starting to fight. This is not what I envisioned when I came home with 8 tiny chicks who were going to be pampered hens, that layed pretty eggs for me.

I was really torn, but I made arrangements to give them to friends. He's a vet, and was raised in a family that raised chickens, and he promised the end would be as humane as possible. I was wracked with doubt-- should I spare the two that were not problems (yet)? Should I spare one? How would I chose who to spare? In the end, I felt that it was best to send them all since it was likely that sparing one or two just delayed the inevitable.

They came for them last night, just after dark. I had hoped we'd quietly catch them, cage them, very calm and quiet. Unfortunately my friend missed the first chance to capture the big roo, which resulted in some turmoil and flailing-- probably more upsetting to me than the chickens. Once they were caged, they immediately lay down calmly. I was worried one of the lil roos was hurt, because he was laying on his side, but he must have just been scared, he righted himself. It was a horrible night and I felt like a horrible person. Intellectually I know my hens will have less stress, will grow back their missing feathers. I will enjoy being able to go into the pen or the coop without carrying a stick and feeling nervous. But OMG, I will NEVER EVER let a broodie hatch again. She's broody again right now, has been so for weeks-- but no way. Not only am I unable to consider eating something I raised and cared for daily, it is hard to give them to someone else to eat.

I guess I am not a real chicken person. I would happily choose to eat chickens raised like mine are-- but not ones I've met. And it's not easy to raise them and send them off to their death either. At least not for me.

@My1stChickens

"One was mean as the devil and would attack hens, running up behind them and grabbing their necks."

That's called mating.

"She's broody again right now, has been so for weeks-- but no way."

Make sure you read up on breaking broodiness. It can kill them.

Last edited:
I have had a bunch of people ask for feathers for fly tying and arts and crafts. May be a good way to put a spin on the sale add! I have asked a long time fly fisherman what feathers work best, and he told me the best tiers will use whatever they can, especially if it is free or cheap.

@My1stChickens

"One was mean as the devil and would attack hens, running up behind them and grabbing their necks."

That's called mating.

"She's broody again right now, has been so for weeks-- but no way."

Make sure you read up on breaking broodiness. It can kill them.
SunHwaKwon,
I have a mature rooster, who mates with the hens. The juvenile never attempted to mate, just attacked. I observed this a number of times. I realize their is a learning curve, but he did not attempt to mount/mate.

And yes, I am aware that hardcore broodiness is an issue. Fortunately she is not trying to die, she spends a couple hours at least twice a day out of the nest box, eats, scratches for bugs and socializes. She's been asked to leave the box so many times that she now departs at the first request, without any fuss.... and stays out for a couple hours.

I have had a bunch of people ask for feathers for fly tying and arts and crafts. May be a good way to put a spin on the sale add! I have asked a long time fly fisherman what feathers work best, and he told me the best tiers will use whatever they can, especially if it is free or cheap.

Oddly enough, the woman who's husband is the chicken expert was awed by the beautiful feathers-- these were EE roos, and at least two were certifiably stunning. She requested he save feathers for her. She designs very high end custom clothing, and I could see her mind spinning with possibilities.

Back
Top Bottom