all who are hatching quail

Power went out last night...lost 28 babies. No tellin what it did to my eggs.
When I saw that picture you posted of all your incubators I was wondering if you had a generator. I recommend everyone with a big incubator(s) get one. Even one of the cheapo chinese ones you can't read the manual on. Anything to make power until the power comes back. Especially when your dropping $150 or more a shot for bobwhite eggs.

Power went out last night...lost 28 babies. No tellin what it did to my eggs.
that happen to us back in december this year coldest december on record and we managed to save our babys with a mr heater hooked to propane bottle, but our hatch rate sucked because incubator was out. we only had 45 % hatch.

I'm on day 17 of 74 14-0z & above Coturnix quail eggs I set--I have 16 hatched so far. I'm worried I'll have another bad hatch rate. Last time, I set 57 & only hatched 34 and these are my own eggs that I collected in 5 1/2 days (45-50% humidity & 65% at lockdown, 99.5-99.8 temp). A friend told me to up my humidity to 60s then 70s for the last 3 days. I live 6500 above sea level & I've heard it can be tricky to hatch at this elevation. With these batch of eggs, I was able to keep the humidity at a more consistent 60s the first 15 days then 77% at lockdown and kept the temp at a steady 99.8.
What else can I do different?

Back
Top Bottom