all who are hatching quail

Just ordered 100 northern bobwhites to set. Very excited.

This time next year I will have a lot of eggs of my own to set and hatch (eat too)

So it has been right at 14 days since I put in the first batch of 40, well now 38, eggs. So I should start seeing them hatch anytime now, right?
Assuming they are coturnix, this is the point when you stop turning them and up the humidity by about 10% (keep it below 70%)

Expect them right around the 17th day. On the morning of the seventeenth day is when I hear them peeping from their pips. Tough to see their pips unless you kill the lights and use a flashlight. Of course do all this with the lid on the incubator. After upping the humidity at day 14, do NOT open anything.

Just ordered 100 northern bobwhites to set. Very excited.

This time next year I will have a lot of eggs of my own to set and hatch (eat too)

Assuming they are coturnix, this is the point when you stop turning them and up the humidity by about 10% (keep it below 70%)

Expect them right around the 17th day. On the morning of the seventeenth day is when I hear them peeping from their pips. Tough to see their pips unless you kill the lights and use a flashlight. Of course do all this with the lid on the incubator. After upping the humidity at day 14, do NOT open anything.

I am using a little giant 9200, it doesn't have humidity control, I just put a cup of water in. I have had it at 100 degrees the entire time. How do I control humidity in this incubator? This is my first attempt at hatching.

Well as long as the humidity has been the same i.e. the water cup has been in there the whole time, you are probably fine with leaving it the same. It's much more important what the humidity has been from day 1. As long as that has been in the correct realm, the membranes are probably fine. I'm no expert this are my experiences with three medium hatches of coturnix (70-120 each time) and I've had a 94% overall hatch rate. Don't open the incubator a bunch during hatching. Try to avoid it.

Just make sure that LG incubator doesn't spike in temp when they start pipping and hatching. Some incubators will do that.

Despite hubby's complaints, I always sleep with the bedroom window open just an inch or so every night, regardless if it's the dead of winter or the height of summer, just in case anything out of the ordinary happens...opossum trying to get into the coop, a goat having kids, an impending tornado, or one of any number of other things that could occur on a Midwest farm stead in the middle of the night.

And as such, early this morning I was awaken by a distress call in the midst of the morning chorus that was being performed by all of the wild birds. Hubby said it was my imagination and to just go back to sleep (he had partially awaken as I was getting up), but I got dress anyway and hurried outside to find a lone quail pitter-pattering back and forth across the patio, giving the most pitiful little calls...apparently it had managed to slip by youngest son last evening when he took care of them. I was afraid it would fly away, but it just ran into the grass at the edge of the patio and then sat there, and I was able to just reach down and pick it up. Now it's safely back with the others and all is well and quiet on the home front.

Needless to say, the window will be open an inch or so again tonight.
smile.png
Any time I've had an escapee they stick as close to their covey as they can. And yes, just walk over and pick them up, they seem relieved to not be "in the wild" anymore. Gotta love coturnix!

Funny how late the coturnix lay isn't it? They are so annoying when they don't lay until 5-7 p.m. for me
roll.png
Yes! Then the stragglers just after dark. But none lay in the mornings. The little darlings.

Does anyone put in water (with marbles of course) and starter mash in the incubator before lockdown? I have the feeling I'll get a wide range of hatch times since I collected eggs over a 3 week period and it was so hot when they were laid that some may have started developing and the fresher eggs will hatch much later. I don't want the early chicks to be wanting.

Just snatch them out when they're dry, I always do, never had a problem. I just make sure to raise the humidity as soon as I close it.

As of today 30 out of 48 have hatched. Looks like two have not even piped yet. They may be late bloomers. Others that are due have piped, have 3 due tomorrow, and 8 due Sunday.

Back
Top Bottom