all who are hatching quail

Candled a different wax 'fixed' cracked egg tonight. Jumbo Wisconsin bobwhites, day 5 :)
I saw its little heart beating! Hopefully the pic will post. :/

Last edited:
I'm most excited about the experimental batch with the cracked shells I repaired. OMG this is driving me nuts. I think I've candled a few every day so far. I haven't really seen any veins starting, just little shadows to one side.
hu.gif
I'm not a 'pro-candler' either though.
Gingerly, I read this on another website, and it didn't give too many details. Can the wax be dispersed from a hot glue gun directly on the crack? My biggest concern is when the chick pips, the wax is too thick and it can't break through.

I think a hot glue gun would be waaaay too hot. Here's what I did... I took a small white votive candle that was in the little glass holder, lit it, and let it burn for a little while. Then I dipped a q-tip into the liquid wax and quickly 'painted' it on the crack. There's really not a big glob but right before lock down I do plan to quickly (and gently) scrape any excess off. Most of mine aren't in the pip area so I think they will be ok. We will see how it goes in about 2 weeks.

Just candled all my bobwhite eggs. :( Out of 100, 60 were infertile, 10-12 are questions, and only about 30 seem to be developing properly (a lot of the good ones are my cracked eggs). So sad! I'm not taking the others out yet. Some of the developing ones seem to be late bloomers so I will recheck the infertiles in a few days before I toss them. I will definitely not be getting eggs from that gentlemen again. Good thing I didn't pay an arm and a leg for them!

Oh wow, that is a whole lot. But on the bright side you have 30 possibly about 42 on their way. That's still allot. Keep us posted

Back
Top Bottom