all who are hatching quail

I hatch upright in trays. I like it. It's less mess and the unhatched eggs don't get kicked around like soccer balls.Less stress for me
big_smile.png

Do you put the big end up like in the turning trays?

The rest of the eggs did not hatch. I opened some and there were no chicks inside. Either not fertile or died very early.
Humidity skyrocketed as the chicks hatched, because they all hatched at the same time. Up to the hatch time it was good.
Some of my babies:

I have around 150 incubating now for my first quail incubating. 1/2 mixed coturnix 1/2 a&m. Candled at 9 days and Round 40 look clear, left in bator for now. Do most people leave them in or when do you go ahead and pull them out? Running temp at 100. And humidity at 44% in gqf sportsman incubator. Any advise is appreciated. Having more A&M eggs mailed, should set them on Wed or Thur.

I have around 150 incubating now for my first quail incubating. 1/2 mixed coturnix 1/2 a&m. Candled at 9 days and Round 40 look clear, left in bator for now. Do most people leave them in or when do you go ahead and pull them out? Running temp at 100. And humidity at 44% in gqf sportsman incubator. Any advise is appreciated. Having more A&M eggs mailed, should set them on Wed or Thur.
After having a rotten one blow up in lockdown. I remove the obvious non developed eggs.

Hi, I'm really late coming to the game but I have 11 coturnix eggs in lockdown as of last night (day 14). I orded 24 from someone on Amazon and 8 of the eggs were not fertile and the others stopped growing very early on. This is my first time hatching quail, but I have done a lot of reading to prepare and think I got it...guess we will see by the end of this week. Excited!! :)

I'm trying to find more local (MS) hatching eggs, but not having much luck. Does anyone have a good source that you order from that has a good hatch rate for shipped eggs?

Quote: Yes, big end up. I use my extra quail racks for quail eggs. but if you don't have extra, you can use the racks they are in now. i just lay the racks on the bottom wire floor. I would suggest taking the eggs out of the turner before removing the racks. We wouldn't want a big ooops and accidentally drop them. ;)

Last edited:
Call me crazy to do back to back to back hatching

My first batch did not do so good only hatched 3 out of 17 but i never candled them

my second batch I only put in 10 as these came from my own quail and I put them in on the 17th due to hatch on 4/1 and I candled all these 9/10 look ok

Tomorrow I am getting my second batch of eggs from ebay and putting in 10 more of my own so 34 eggs go in the bator tomorrow my basement is going to look funny with 3 different quail brooders and 2 chick brooders as I pick up my meat chickens and another batch of egg layers the second week of April so in total 5 brooders will be going on at once.

One question how long do you keep Quail in a brooder with a heat lamp??? my first 3 are almost all feathered out and they are only 10 days old

Oh did I call myself crazy I am also building my rabbit hutchs, another chicken coop and a meat chicken coop, and 3 more quail pens all in the next 3 weeks busy busy

Back
Top Bottom