all who are hatching quail

My bobwhites go into lockdown on Sunday! I need some advice. Right now they are in a turner. Do I take them out, candle them, remove the turner, then put them back in for hatching? Do I put something over the wire covering the water tray? Do I put the eggs in a basket that fits into the incubator after I remove the turner? This is my first time, sorry for the newb questions. Thanks!!!
Yes, you take them out of the turner. You can candle or not, I like to candle ;) If you have a lot you don't have to candle them all. But it helps for the next time you hatch. the more you do it the better you get and know what to look for. What to look for when you candle is the size of the air cell and if they internally pipped. The air cell should be about 1/3 of the egg. If everything looks good you add water to raise humidity. If air cells look to small then wait to add water until you see that first pip.
Lay them on the wire rack or you can place a paper towel, liner, cheesecloth over the wire. You don't have to I do because it's easier to clean up after they hatch then to scrape the goo off the wire. no basket necessary. some people put them in baskets so they can separate the different breed if they can't tell them apart after they hatched.

Sally Sunshine has some great threads and Pete55 also has a nice one. Search for their names on here. You will find a lot of good info to help you if something arises that makes you stress out.

Hope this helps, Good Luck

We are new to haching. I'm helping my 10yo she has 4 in a LG 9200. We manually rotate. They were placed sun and mon. I've noticed the eggs are now tipping downward vs staying on their side. Does this mean anything?

Put my first 122 quail eggs in lockdown last night. Put them in the paper egg trays to see how that works for easier clean up. So excited to see my babies! 1/2 are mixed coturnix and 1/2 A&M whites.

Put my first 122 quail eggs in lockdown last night. Put them in the paper egg trays to see how that works for easier clean up. So excited to see my babies! 1/2 are mixed coturnix and 1/2 A&M whites.
Paper Egg trays? Are they textured? I am finding even the paper towels are to slick. I gave up and have been hatching on wire with better results.

I put mine into lockdown and noticed a pip a few hours later. This was on day 20. Pretty early for bobwhites, isn't it? Also, there are now a large number with pips, but nothing since. It has been almost 24 hours since the first pip. Humidity has been at least 50% since the beginning and 60% since lockdown yesterday. Should I be concerned?

Last edited:
Yes I used the paper quail egg trays that came with my sportsman incubator. Last night had a few pips,evening of day 16. This morning work to a lot of babies. Seamed to crowded in there. Quickly opened door and removed one of the 50ct paper trays that only had one unhatched egg in it and just put it on the paper towels. It looked like most of the chicks were from the mixed coturnix eggs. The a&m whites where just piping. Had to go to work so didn't get to watch for long. Should have a lot more when I get home this evening and will put the dry ones in the brooder.
Paper Egg trays? Are they textured? I am finding even the paper towels are to slick. I gave up and have been hatching on wire with better results.

I put mine into lockdown and noticed a pip a few hours later. This was on day 20. Pretty early for bobwhites, isn't it? Also, there are now a large number with pips, but nothing since. It has been almost 24 hours since the first pip. Humidity has been at least 50% since the beginning and 60% since lockdown yesterday. Should I be concerned?
The same thing happened to me with the free bobwhite eggs that came with my incubator. Lockdown was Saturday and within a couple hours some of them had pipped. Yesterday on Easter Sunday, one hatched at around 6 pm and more than half of them have pips. It is now almost noon on Monday and no more have hatched or shown any progress. The poor little one is hiding underneath the paper egg tray. It's a good thing that I cut the top off of all the "nubs" on the tray. He's just tunneling underneath the other eggs and waiting for someone else to come out and play.

If anyone who is more experienced then me with quail eggs is available to help this lady that would be great
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/761717/help-quail-eggs#post_10831265

Thank you!! I've done what I could at this point and so far the three that I pipped (I pipped 11 total, lost 2 to hitting blood vessels when trying to pip them, the others were already dead, but ALL were shrink wrapped and never pipped internally) are breathing still and I crank the humidity and have left alone. Just watching to ensure they don't dry out. As could as can be expected at this point.

Back
Top Bottom