all who are hatching quail

Have 101 out of the 122 I put into lockdown hatched and doing well. Hoping for rest to hatch tonight. A little early today was day 17. I thought most coturnix were supposed to hatch on day 18 or is that the jumbos only??? What day do you have most hatch on? Lets get a survey.

My humidity has dropped way down in the past 24 hours but I can't really change anything right now as they are in lockdown. I have 2 chicks hatched so far and one pipping as of this morning. Just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. I will take the hatched chicks out tonight and try and add a cup of water in hopes that it helps. Wish me luck.

My humidity has dropped way down in the past 24 hours but I can't really change anything right now as they are in lockdown. I have 2 chicks hatched so far and one pipping as of this morning. Just crossing my fingers and hoping for the best. I will take the hatched chicks out tonight and try and add a cup of water in hopes that it helps. Wish me luck.
can you get airline tubing in thru the vent hole to add more water? I do this if I have sponges on top. I'm not sure what kind of incubator you have.
Have 101 out of the 122 I put into lockdown hatched and doing well. Hoping for rest to hatch tonight. A little early today was day 17. I thought most coturnix were supposed to hatch on day 18 or is that the jumbos only??? What day do you have most hatch on? Lets get a survey.
The coturnix I have hatched always seem to hatch on day 17 too, with a few early on day 16. But the hatch I'm doing right now one decided to join us on day 15. It was a smaller egg.
Quote: Sally Sunshine has an assisted hatch thread with pictures. https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/step-by-step-guide-to-assisted-hatching

I have never helped anything if it didn't pip externally on it's own. So with saying that, This is what you could try since you are at this point and they are shrink wrapped. Carefully take one side of the shell off that is not stuck to the inter membrane top to bottom. It should come off fairly easy if it is shrinkwrapped. wrap with a damp paper towel. Keep checking to see if the yolk is absorbed. When and if the yolk gets absorbed, Start peeling the membrane off starting with the beak, then head and working down til you get to the feet or butt. If any bleeding stop and wait another hour or two. Not sure if this will work or if it will absorb the yolk. But it might be worth a shot. I don't believe they will hatch on their own at all since you started helping them and they are shrinkwrapped. So you will have to do it all. Good Luck
fl.gif

Last edited:
The same thing happened to me with the free bobwhite eggs that came with my incubator. Lockdown was Saturday and within a couple hours some of them had pipped. Yesterday on Easter Sunday, one hatched at around 6 pm and more than half of them have pips. It is now almost noon on Monday and no more have hatched or shown any progress. The poor little one is hiding underneath the paper egg tray. It's a good thing that I cut the top off of all the "nubs" on the tray. He's just tunneling underneath the other eggs and waiting for someone else to come out and play.
1 1/2 days after the first one hatched, I woke up this morning to another one. That began the free for all and now there are only 7 eggs out of 25 that haven't hatched! It was hard to wait patiently for the others to hatch. Frank has been so lonely in his little temporary brooder. This is my first time hatching quail and I'm loving it! They are so cute! I did learn one important thing today. I learned why my Genesis 1588 came with little clips to keep the screen and water tray attached. I didn't put them on when I set eggs and there were no problems with the chicken eggs that hatched last week (staggered hatch) but I needed them with the quail. I had no idea that these little bobwhites would be tunnelers and get into the smallest places. One managed to get in between the screen and the plastic water tray. That opened up a space and 2 more joined him. We happened to be watching the hatch and saw them do it. I had to quickly open up the incubator and pull them out of the water before they drown. Crazy little birds! Instead of messing with the clips, I put a plastic water bottle partially filled with warm water on each side. So far so good. No more swimmers!

Seven hatched now. Got the brooder set up and ready to add them tonight. Still hoping for more but either way this is a better hatch than last time.

Eight in the brooder. Still have eggs but not sure how many more will hatch. There is one fully zipped, moving around but the membrane is still holding it in. I don't know how long he's been like that but I'm going to leave him at least overnight since he is still moving, I assume he's getting air.

Another hatched early this morning so that brings me to 9 now. He's still wet so I'm leaving him in the incubator until after work. The zipped egg is still moving and I could see a bit of feather and fluff sticking out one side so I expect him to join us sometime today. All eight in the brooder are active and healthy this morning so all is going well. Gosh I forgot how small they are at first.

I think that my bobwhite hatch is complete but I am leaving the 6 remaining eggs in the incubator for another day. It will be day 24 this evening. 34 set, 25 into lockdown, 19 hatched. We are having so much fun watching these tiny things bop around the brooder! I love my large fowl but there is something so adorable about these baby quail. I wasn't planning on breeding them but I may change my mind!
love.gif

So this is my second try at this. the last time only 3 out of 17 hatched

Today 7 out of 14 hatched but today is only day 16 and I staggered putting some in (as they layed them) so a few is not due for anoter 2 days.

Also have another 36 just put in yesterday this should be my last batch for a month or so until my chicks leave the brooders as I pick them up next week.

Back
Top Bottom