all who are hatching quail

I got my wheat seed and occasionally barley at a feed store. Just call a few and see who has complete or whole seed wheat or barley for feeding livestock. I have to grow my fodder inside.or it molds from humidity outside. If your hot and humid you should be able to grow food most if not all year for them.

If your talking fermented feed then no I don't but only cause its so hot and humid here I have a hard time controlling the bacterial and fungal growth. I do use wet mash as needed to give them some herbs now and then. They do eat less my theory is it sticks to the crop better and is probably easier to digest since its pre moistened.

Where are you firefly? I live in east texas and were hittin 110 with heat index all week last week. But lots of people love fermented feed here. I was just curious...but i guess my real question is this: there isnt anything wrong about using fermented feed for game birds?

Ive used it and known people who do and I'm in south Florida. But I couldn't keep it edible. It kept rotting and people told me it was my humidity and heat combo.

Ive used it and known people who do and I'm in south Florida. But I couldn't keep it edible. It kept rotting and people told me it was my humidity and heat combo.
Store your FF in a cool place. Like your basement. Take out only as much as they need to eat every day/evening. Make your FF less like soup & more like couscous consistency.

Let it dry out over the day (what they don't eat), flip it on the grass & they will eat it up as if it's new. :)

I wish I had a basement. LOL! Not a whole lot of people in Florida with those. My water table is only 21 inches down right now so my basement would be a pool. I've tried my pantry but its not cool enough. I am consider a special egg storage closet which would be cooled so maybe in there.

Hey, so I'm super new to the community of breeding and hatching quail (or anything without fins for that matter) so I was wondering what everyone else's most positive experience and also the most negative/tragic. I'm trying to get myself excited for the good but prepared for anything that I might encounter. I've read about their baby legs going all wonky and such and having to HUMANELY kill in some cases and I'm on overload of info. If anyone has any advice for a beginner or anything to share, bring it on!

Thanks!

Welcome! First time quailer here too. Mine hatched 2 weeks ago this weekend and gearing up for the move outside! I have raised chickens for a while so i made this logical step. I am looking forward ti starting to sex theses guys soon.

1 word of advice is to learn what you need as you need it. These birds are extremely resiliant so wonky legs and deformations really are the exception. I had 18 hatch. 3 died :( but everyone else is healthy as can be. Had one hatch with a crooked neck, i put him in the brooder and the next day or 2 he had straightened up and was good to go

So basically just have fun and do what is needed to maintain a healthy flock and you will eventually know everything you need.

Welcome aboard!!

Back
Top Bottom