all who are hatching quail

Hi Casa...it is a northern bobwhite. I'm currently hatching Georgia Giant bobwhites...as the name would suggest they are larger than the northerns. Perhaps not as agile or "rangey" as the northerns but they are a better meat and egg producer. My goal is to cross them with northerns and end up with 3/4 northern and 1/4 GG in an effort to make a hardier, better flying bird than a straight run Georgia Giant.

I love listening to them...it reminds me of when I was a kid and we had large populations of wild birds. Coveys have been nonexistent in Texas and many other states in the last couple of years, but seem to have bounced back a bit this year. Nowhere near the numbers they used to be, but good to hear one in the field every now and then.

Love the pic! If you have success, and sell eggs down the road, let me know ;)

My JBC Quail keep knocking their feeder over, it is on a 2 inch raised base, (an upside down 8" round cake pan), then they lay eggs on top of there. They usually roll off, sometimes the egg is still sitting up there. Cracks me up, I can't figure out what they are thinking>? They should lay in the nest, or inside something, not on top of something, it is backwards. Maybe they are protesting the cold weather and feeling rebellious.

I think I am about ready to set some quail eggs, they are back to laying one per day per hen, pretty much...but I have got to get them to stop this business, the eggs get cracked if they roll off.

Mine all seem to lay under the heat lamps in the sand. Nice because i don't have frozen eggs but i have to dig around in the sand to find them all. They get buried when they dust bathe

I had quails and I gave them a nest when they always layed there.I never had problems with broken eggs.
This morning have arrived my 12 button quail eggs and 12 mix coturnix eggs(japanesse, isabelle and common.
La casa del pollo, you are from Utah but you are spanish¿? I ask you because the name,

I had quails and I gave them a nest when they always layed there.I never had problems with broken eggs.
This morning have arrived my 12 button quail eggs and 12 mix coturnix eggs(japanesse, isabelle and common.
La casa del pollo, you are from Utah but you are spanish¿? I ask you because the name,

Nope we just call our coop La Casa. My husband nicknamed it that when we were building it.

The first version:

The second "after chicken/quail math struck" version. Yup the run is 60 feet long:D Bigger coop on this end:

With a mini coop for chicks on this end:

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom