all who are hatching quail

In most places you will need a permit from the state conservation or fish and game in order to raise bobwhites. In California it cost me around $15. No one comes out and checks or anything its more a matter of record keeping for the state. 

Thank you.

State of Texas is $15 for less than 500 birds and $189 for more. I paid the $189 and it comes with some book keeping. Birds hatched, birds sold, eggs sold must all be documented. Game Warden came by last week to check on things. Main reason you want it is if you're hauling processed quail or dead quail and get stopped and it's not quail season...hefty fine otherwise.

I have cat litter pans filled with dry sand in all my quail pens . they all lay in the sand (eggs) it keeps most of the eggs from getting broken , like they will laying on the wire .I had to take all my males away from the females ,and put them into a separate pen .In the winter the hens don't want to breed , and of course the males do .If you don't separate them you just have a bunch of hens with bloody heads ,. My females just keep laying at an astounding rate .. So much ,that the eggs are a nuisance .

I have 33 10 day old buttons in a 105 qt tub,using door mat at bottom! What a mess!
Thinking about putting play sand in instead!

What do yal think?

Back
Top Bottom