all who are hatching quail

I have just had 16 hatch, a mixture of Tuxedo, White, Italian, Tibetan and also Pharoah
I was out for a few hours this afternoon and when I got home, I discovered an egg with a wee hole in it and a very dry portion of wing sticking out. The chick was in distress, so I carefully 'helped' it out.
No blood vessels were there, and the chick came out. It was very dry on part of its body, and now has been trying to get up, but its legs and neck are obviously really stiff. I see a bit of blood on its belly, so not sure if this has happened after it hatched out or whether it has hurt itself thrashing around the cage. I will just leave it to see if recovers. Hope it does, poor wee thing.

Is it normal for them to lay around looking like a bug splattered on a windshield.

Lol, they are Really good at relaxing, totally Hilarious! I love the way they recline like theyre on a sunbed!

Sawdust is NOT good for either the babies or you. If you are allergic to trees, and the quail will eat it. Just saying.....

One of my button quails is hatching, I'm very excited and emocionated!!! It's the first time
celebrate.gif

Be careful using play sand, or dirt with baby quail. Sometimes they will eat it and get impacted crops , and die .I prefer pine shavings for the first week or so . My brooder has a plywood floor , so I clean it with a sheetrock scraper ,and shop vac .

I have been using paper towels the first week ish, I put new ones down each day...then it starts to get exciting (gross) with all the poop so I switch to the pine shavings, but I screen them until they are three weeks old so the fine particles are removed. So far no problems. Then I give them a heavy ceramic dustbathing bowl at about 5 weeks with play sand and volcano ash (the lizard sand) or a little DE to dustbath in and they go crazy. Silly birds. Then they go on wire for their permanent adult habitat. I have had one get bumblefoot from the wire though, so I watch them pretty close. It did not get poked, but her foot pad got swollen and I had to drain it out, it just bled, and wrapped it for a few days and she healed fine. Not sure what happened there, I thought the roughness of the wire may have just made her sore and swollen up :( No problems since, that was last June. I think we are going to do something different this year though.

All my quails have hatched. 2 of 12 button and 2 of 12 coturnix isabele. I think it's a good result because the problems I had in the incubation.

I have 2 batches hatched out parent raised. young parents. Can't handle more than that @ a time. Started pulling eggs. With work and space. I keep my adults paired 2 to a home. No fights They are button quail. 2 silver, 2 white 2 tuxedo(silver) 2 wild color, 1 brown, and a silver with bib. They are so cute. This is my third hatch ever. Love these little ones, Such cute sounds and funny as can be. Love to watch them interact with the parent birds.

Back
Top Bottom