all who are hatching quail

First to hatch on day 16. Set 48 Texas A&M that we're shipped. So far 6 have hatched! This is more exciting than Christmas morning! This was a dry incubation I started at 100.5 degrees and about 30% RH. At lock down dropped temp to 98.5-99.0 and set humidity at 70%. Hopefully things go well. it a previous post someone had mentioned I needed to post the results of my dry incubation run. So I will definitely post that here unless there is a better place to do so. Also, quail jailer if your reading this....Day 19 would be the correct day to water candle? Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get home tonight to see who else popped out. This is indeed egg citing!:weee
IMG}

EGG-CITING indeed!

Only 7 out of my 27 quail eggs hatched. 17 were fertile, 1 died shortly after hatch, 3 got shrink wrapped :( But the 7 are thriving! They were all supposed to be coturnix but 1 is pure yellow. What colour would the yellow chick be as adult?

Also, how do I attach images? When I click on attach it says I don't have permissions to attach?

Thanks!

The yellow will turn out either all white or white with a brown spot... they are super cool as I have an all yellow chic too...

YESSSSS!!!! White quails look soooo cool!

But I guess no other way to sex it other than vent sexing it?

Yes a white one would have to be done with vent or wait to see if it starts to talk, if it crows like the adult males than its a boy. I dont like to vent my birds. Just weird for me...
idunno.gif

First to hatch on day 16. Set 48 Texas A&M that we're shipped. So far 6 have hatched! This is more exciting than Christmas morning! This was a dry incubation I started at 100.5 degrees and about 30% RH. At lock down dropped temp to 98.5-99.0 and set humidity at 70%. Hopefully things go well. it a previous post someone had mentioned I needed to post the results of my dry incubation run. So I will definitely post that here unless there is a better place to do so. Also, quail jailer if your reading this....Day 19 would be the correct day to water candle? Thanks in advance! Can't wait to get home tonight to see who else popped out. This is indeed egg citing!:weee
https://www.backyardchickens.com/content/type/61/id/6515831/width/350/height/700[/IMG}[/QUOTE]

Well as thing have progressed we have 23 hatched and kicking, and 1 that just seemed to give up in the shell as it had PIP'd and then did move after that for some time. It seemed to be still attached to the eggs membrane or Hadn't taken the yolk all in at any rate it looked shrink wrapped on top but the bottom was still moist upon inspection. I did help one out of the shell that had Piped a rather large hole and was like that for about 13hrs. I just zipped the shell for it and it pushed itself out it was very small and had curled feet. I am gonna leave it for a day or so to see if it corrects itself. Crazy how addicting this is!

I must say these eggs were purchased on EBAY and shipped. I think they are doing well for shipped eggs. I let them sit for 24 hrs then set them. I hope more hatch but if they don't I will be very pleased either way! Happy hatching everyone!

YESSSSS!!!! White quails look soooo cool!

But I guess no other way to sex it other than vent sexing it?
If it lays an egg its a girl!

If you are squeamish about vent sexing you do not have to press on the vent and make the roo foam. You can visually see on a mature roo between the tail and vent the skin will be redder than a hen and will be swollen looking due to the gland there being full of foam. No need to press on it. If you have a mature rooster and hen to observe the difference is obvious. The difference is slighter in younger birds and in chicks they pretty much look the same.
hmm.png
So much easier with browns, by 2 1/2 - 3 weeks they color up and you can tell which sex they are!

My roos start crowing at 4 weeks and increase in frequency as they get older so if you have the time to sit and observe you can see which one is crowing. Sometimes I will clip the flight feathers of a white male so I can tell later which one he is. Some people will put leg bands on them.

Back
Top Bottom