all yolk

happybrahma

Hatching
11 Years
Feb 19, 2008
My eggs are mostly yolk. Ok, not completely yolk, but the yolks seem to be more of the egg then they should be. The eggs don't seem to be particularly small. They are definitely not extra larges or jumbos. I'd say they are medium eggs, with large yolks. I have a few different breeds of hens. What causes large yolks?

Welcome to BYC. I am not sure what causes large yolks, but that is what my family likes the most. Hopefully someone will have an answer for you. Maybe it is something in the diet.
idunno.gif

Welcome to BYC!

You have very healthy hens! Also super fresh eggs have more compact tight whites that appear to be less than accustomed to in grocery store eggs. As the eggs age the whites loosen up, even become watery and spread out seemingly to be lots of white in comparison to the tolk.

Thanks for the welcome!

These are my girls:

http://picasaweb.google.com/stephen.f.lawrence/Chickens

I have one more hen now. She is a "red-rock" (aka commercial cross breed from farm store). We had to get her because Yokie (the brahma) went broody and would NOT quit. We got her a chick, and she raised her up great. I swear should would have died sitting in that nest if she did not get a chick!

Just to be sure, even when I hard boil the eggs, the yokes are very large when compared to the size of the egg. The sides of the hard boiled egg will often be just a think layer of white over the yolks!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom