1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Allen Setter Rooster

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by romanceballroom2, May 3, 2009.

1. romanceballroom2

romanceballroom2 New Egg

May 3, 2009
    A few months ago I was "gifted" with a few chickens and roos. The prevoius owner didn't even know what breed most of them were. There is one big, beautiful and very sweet roo. After searching thousands of pictures I think that I have finally identefied his breed. He looks exactly like the picture of the Spangled Allen Setter rooster on Feathersite. Even google searching I can't find any information on the breed other than that they are a fairly new and somewhat rare breed. Does anyone know anything about Allen Setters, ie what breeds they were derived from, breed standards, etc.?
    Ashley

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Never heard of them.... off to feathersite I go...

3. pdsavage

pdsavage Sussex Monarch

Mar 27, 2008
    NW,Missouri
    Do you have pics of your chickens?

4. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    Quote:Allen Setters to my understanding are not so much a breed with a standard. They are the product of one man's mission to create a line of cleanlegged small hens who were absolutely superb setting hens. Therefore you could consider them a "working breed". Color, comb, etc isn't that important, the bottom line is how well they set. Considering The Allen Setters are more of an individual strain in many regards it explains their rarity. Unless you live nearby to the man who made them, or to one who got birds from him, then most likely your birds are just crosses that look like them (afterall, they are basically crossed up too).

5. Vcomb

Vcomb Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 19, 2008
    South Dakota
    My Coop
    I also see this is your first post. Welcome to the BYC! [​IMG]

6. Baizer84

Baizer84 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 28, 2014
    Hamilton, TX
    He's not an Allen Setter. They are so rare that the chances of this being true are about negative eleventy billion percent.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by