Allergic to birds - but can't resist them in SE Ohio

bspaz

Chirping
6 Years
Mar 22, 2013
South-east Ohio
Hi! I live in SE Ohio along the Ohio River. I'm an absolute beginner.

I currently have six, 3 week old pullets (White Leghorn) and three 4 day old (Barred Rock, Black-sex Link, Dark Brahma).
I have the leghorns in a re-purposed small garden pond liner under a heat lamp in the basement, and the little ones in a box under a lamp in my kitchen where it's much warmer. The Brahma has really attached to me quickly - runs to my hand when I put it in the box. The Barred Rock is also friendly, but the Black-sex Link doesn't really like to be handles so much. I think he might be a few days older based on his wing development.

I haven't secured a coop yet. I would like to have a chicken tractor, but I think I'll have to convert an old goat shed into a coop for now and then work on a chicken tractor over the summer. I'll be glad when I can put them outside when it gets warmer so I can quit taking Benedryl for my allergy.

I'm keeping chickens for the eggs, composting and bugs. We had another mild winter this year, so the summer bugs will be terrible.

I hope to get one or two Polish hens. I love their feathered heads! So far, the only places I can get them (ordering them) requires a minimum order of 15. I understand why they have to ship them that way, but it's more than I need as a beginner. I would like to show them at the county fair, although my husband teases me about my "4-H project" when I say that.

Anyway, just wanted to say "Hi" and thanks for all the great information. I've already learned so much.

-Birdie
D.gif

Welcome To BYC! And congrats on your chickens! Totally relate the whole mild winter thing so Good Luck!

Back
Top Bottom