Allergic to the bedding

fours2many

Songster
9 Years
Feb 28, 2010
Naples, Florida
Please help! I am allergic to pine, cypress, ash and a few other trees/wood. I can not tolerate any kind of wood shavings.
Is there anything else that I can use as bedding in the coop?

I tried to do a search, but every topic to do with bedding other than pine, was told to just wear a mask.
roll.png
Well, when you can't breath (asthma) a mask just doesn't help! So, please do not suggest a mask. They will not help with my asthma. I can't even walk in Home Depot by the wood section. Even naked furniture places send me to the ER.

Why is kitty litter bad? What else can be used? I read paper gets wet and mushy. There has to be something else.

Besides wood shavings, what have you tried and what worked the best?

Thanks, Kristin

I am very allergic to wood shavings myself, along with dust which chickens create. I have bad asthma on top of it all.
I just bought a very good mask that I wear when I go to do coop chores. I never wear barn clothes in the house so I have separate boots and also coveralls. I bought the mask from the hardware store, it is the kind drywallers use. I helps 100%.

Have you tried straw?

Beyond that, kitty litter would be bad.. You COULD do a layer of sand in the coop and then just screen it from time to time to remove the solid waste.

What kind of floor is in your coop? wood or dirt?

AS FAR AS A MASK GOES.

A GOOD mask will indeed work.. I use this one for woodworking and wear it for hours in end.. Very comfy.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Z53WKU/ref=oss_product

This filter for it gets 99.9% of particulate mater.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000BL85QE/ref=oss_product

If you have an issue with ammonia, you can use this one, which will filter it as well.
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000XBKLLE/ref=oss_product

Last edited:
I know you said don't suggest masks, but... I have very bad asthma and the masks do help tons, you just have to get the heavy duty kind. Hope this works for you, it works for me.

Could you raise your coop up and put wire for the poop to fall through? My girl's coop is just on bare dirt for the summer. They spend most of their waking time outside. Is that an option for you? I was going to use some dry stall in my coop but got scared they would eat it.

Thank you everyone.

I just wanted to clarify, it isn't just that I have asthma, I have a severe allergy to wood/ trees. I have had other pets (rabbits, guinea pigs, turtle, frogs, toads, etc...) I know the theory is a mask will prevent inhaling the oils and dust from the shavings...but I am still very allergic. I am talking severe, epipen allergic. There is no possible way for me to have shavings.

I think we will just go with paper and opened coop on sand. We live in South west Florida, so sand is plentiful. I do not mind scooping out the paper everyday. I am sure I can do it, it should only take 15 min at the most. The secure run will be all sand, just cause that is what we have...

I still wonder why kitty litter is bad. Is it the smell, clay? I had cats and used a litter once that was basically for dogs made out of paper, it was like pellets. It had a strong odor though. I don't think chickens would like that smell. Anyone know why kitty litter is bad?

Thanks, Kristin

Quote:
It might have scents, dyes, or other chemicals. I am planning on using corn cob bedding, what about that?

Quote:
Where would I find corn cob bedding? That might be worth a try! Thanks!

Mine can be found at my feed store. You can try a feed store, farm store, or pet store. Sorry I can't be of more help. The store I go to is local, with around 4 locations. South Bay, I'm in California in the Bay Area.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom