Allowing cooped chickens to free range

I am scared to let my chickens out because we have tons of predators. On days that I don't have to work, I let them out for an hour a day. I stay outside with them the whole time while they forage. I block off the back of pen then I huddle them toward the gate. It seems they get excited and go to coop. From a worried daddy.

I keep a large metal trash can on the porch, it holds the bulk feed and also the scratch. When i want my girls to go back in the coop/run... all I have to do is pull the lid of the can and bang it around a bit... They KNOW that sound and come a runnin' from where ever they are. I take out the scratch bucket and they run behind me to the coop. When they are OUT and i hear a hawk in the area... I go immediatly to the can , BANG Bang with the lid.. and back into the coop they go. I know a hawk cant carry them away, but they could swoop down and just start plucking feathers right in front of me and the other chickens,, and THAT would be traumatic! My point is they are trainable To some extent.
D.gif

Back
Top Bottom