Allowing old rooster or young cockerel to free range

jroyalimage

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 29, 2015
Ok so before I start I want to say that I am fully aware that I am giving human emotions and thoughts to these chickens lol.

So before I was going to allow all 4 of my young cockerels to free range together as a bachelor group. But then I ended up giving away 2 of the cockerels. And I have the remaining 2 their own little groups. My main cockerel (the one I thought was getting aggressive) is in with my 2 old roosters. My
Other cockerel has about 10 hens to himself in a separate breeding flock.
So my new plan is to allow my older hens that are not laying anymore to free range in retirement. I’m thinking of retiring about 6 in the first group to see how they do. But I know if I take that many hens from the main group it’ll cause problems for the 3 boys that are already bickering. So to my question lol. Should I allow one of my older roosters to go with the retirement flock or should I let the new guy go. My old roo has been in that fenced area for about 5 years now. So I know he is protective of it but I kinda want him to experience the free range life. If I do the cockerel, the retired hens will pick on him. They are bigger than him and he’s already started claiming some of the young hens. I probably shouldn’t be thinking about it this much haha.

If you have never free ranged the older group - they have no experience with it. Chickens hate change, and while I think you think you are finally giving them a treat - they probably won't like it that much at all.

They will also be very vulnerable to predators.

If predators are a problem, well, your young flock won't fair as well either, but should be a bit quicker - so you probably won't loose all of them.

Once predators find you, they will be back, they will bring family and friends. It is a way to reduce the size of your flock, but know they ALWAYS get your favorite birds first.

Mrs K

If you have never free ranged the older group - they have no experience with it. Chickens hate change, and while I think you think you are finally giving them a treat - they probably won't like it that much at all.

They will also be very vulnerable to predators.

If predators are a problem, well, your young flock won't fair as well either, but should be a bit quicker - so you probably won't loose all of them.

Once predators find you, they will be back, they will bring family and friends. It is a way to reduce the size of your flock, but know they ALWAYS get your favorite birds first.

Mrs K
I free range my older girls with my younger flock and 2 soon to be yr old roosters.
They've only free ranged once (for a couple hrs) since Nov so the risk is minimal

What is the purpose of your roosters? Are you hoping to breed? Your older rooster will soon decline in fertility.
The older hens are most likely more attached to your older rooster. My whole flock free ranges and the hens tend to hang with a roo that is similar in age even if the roo is no longer dominant.

So my new plan is to allow my older hens that are not laying anymore to free range in retirement
Lovely. Don't just open the gate and push them out into the big wide world though. Baby steps are good. They will naturally be cautious and not venture far until they get comfortable with it. Make sure there's lots of cover from shrubs and trees where they range.
I’m thinking of retiring about 6 in the first group to see how they do
If none of your flock has experience of ranging, that's a very good idea. Start small. Expect to lose some to predation. Treasure the survivors; they will teach the next group how to do it. Each group will do better than the last, as they acquire more and more collective knowledge and experience.
Should I allow one of my older roosters to go with the retirement flock or should I let the new guy go. My old roo has been in that fenced area for about 5 years now
No. He (and your old hens, btw) will have learned helplessness (see Nicol Behavioural biology of chickens 2015: 65 for discussion and references on this consequence of prolonged confinement). The youngest, 'flightiest' cockerel you've got is probably the best one to start this programme with.
If I do the cockerel, the retired hens will pick on him
If they are not confined, he will be able to run from them no issue. He will be much faster than them. They will teach him good manners. He will do his job of looking out for predators and warn the hens of potential trouble. I would not let hens free range without a cockerel or roo or 3.
I probably shouldn’t be thinking about it this much haha
Oh yes you should! Preparation and foresight is the best way you can help your flock. They will learn through hindsight. Good luck! They will love you for it, in due course!

Back
Top Bottom