Almost 1 year of tiny dinosaurs living on my 6 acres

MyTinyDinosaurs

In the Brooder
May 2, 2020
Hello.
I've been reading and dreaming about chickens for 15+ years but didn't bring one home until last summer. All my reading did not prepare me for the reality of taking care of these tiny dinosaurs. I have had ducks for 15+ years. They are mostly dumped domestic rescues from local ponds. They are fairly easy in compariso n and are great fun. In addition have horses, cats, goats, and resident wild things on a small acreage.
  • I have 4 chickens at the moment.
  • 1 Silver Laced Polish Rooster, 1 Crevecour hen, 2 Black and White Polish hens.
  • I got the roo as a 5 month old first. Then I got 3 Crevecour hens to keep him company but 2 were sick when I got them and regardless of much expense and effort, they died while in quarantine. One survived and she is quite the tough little bird with a mind of her own. Then I got the two polish hens a few months later.
  • The chickens are great fun to hang out with and fascinating to watch. They make me laugh. I loved my David Bowie Roo as a youngster but now we are having issues as he is very protective of his girls and attacks me for just being too close when I am feeding or getting their water.
  • My Cher the Crevecour is the sweetest darling. She is a gentle girl with me and seeks my company but certainly bossy with the others.
  • Debbie (also known as Blondie) is my little shy girl with the fancy look. She is the smallest and is pushed around by the other ladies. But Bowie takes care of her. However, She has been more fragile.
  • Liza M. is her sister and they are very bonded. Liza follows me around like a puppy.
    (7) Bonus: How did you find BYC, how long have you known about BYC, and what made you finally join our awesome community?
    A person that sold me some of my chickens sent me a link too assist me with identification of some poo strangeness with the birds. I have been a fan ever since. I have found this to be an invaluable source of help and advice. Like many others I have my own questions that I want to ask.

Back
Top Bottom