almost 16 week old NN went after me today

Hello everyone I really baffled by duchies behaviour today. These guys will be 16 weeks old in 3 days. On February 15th period I have raised them all from one day old.
one of the smallest naked necks, who normally is super friendly, took food out of my hand this morning when I offered it.. just like they usually do. But about 10 minutes later when I was just sitting in the coop like I do every day twice A-day hanging out with them, he came over an nipped my hand so hard, they drew blood.

At 1st I was inclined to think maybe they thought I still had food in my hand. I held my hands out showed there was nothing in my hand with my palms facing up, and they got the back of my hand again. :(
I did not show any fear and stood up. He backed down and wandered back over meandering an eating.
About 10 minutes later I was sitting down when one of my other naked next Frida walked over to me and I started rubbing her chest. This is something I do for the naked next everyday and they all seem to enjoy it and come to me for attention. This time though I had only been rubbing her chest for a few seconds and duckee came over and jumped almost a foot high and drew blood on the bone of my wrist.
Now... no idea if boy or girl. people say there are saddle feathers, BUT feathers are rather rounded and full.. very unlike the saddle feathers on my 3 roo's. any input would be appreciated. not major injuries, but it hurt.. :(
I hate violence with animals or humans but I have one thing that has worked. I had a really aggressive big hen she would draw blood and leave bruises. To show dominance (I doesn’t hurt them) whenever they would peck me I would take my finger and poke the back of their neck repeatedly. To show him or her that this behavior is not okay and when you can sit down or kneel without getting attacked, give him or her treats, and i also pick my chickens up and walk around. Make sure the get a firm grip as they can be very strong. Other than that try and stay calm move slowly and keep talking so they recognize you.

I hate violence with animals or humans but I have one thing that has worked. I had a really aggressive big hen she would draw blood and leave bruises. To show dominance (I doesn’t hurt them) whenever they would peck me I would take my finger and poke the back of their neck repeatedly. To show him or her that this behavior is not okay and when you can sit down or kneel without getting attacked, give him or her treats, and i also pick my chickens up and walk around. Make sure the get a firm grip as they can be very strong. Other than that try and stay calm move slowly and keep talking so they recognize you.
thank you.. great ideas.. I went in yesterday afternoon and made it a point to pick her up.. touch her, etc.

I have 4 Deleware hens that are pretty mean but the two that have started laying are so sweet now. They squat anytime I get near them! So I am not getting pecked as much.
that's great!! ya mine haven't started laying yet.. though since they are 16 weeks, day after tomorrow ill be preparing a couple nest boxes
this week with fake eggs in case I get an "early girl"

That’s really good. They also might get defensive if you are close to eggs too. But you have to be persistent I don’t like it but now I can say “no you know better” with my finger in their face and I don’t get pecked anymore.
they are not laying yet.. but I am adding a couple nest boxes this week in case some starts a bit early. thanks for the heads up, ill be ready in case that starts soon. Matilda, my abandoned neighborhood rescue lays, but she is not in with them.

Back
Top Bottom