Almost afraid to ask this question

I also realised that lots of people cant or dont want a rooster crowing, I can understand that after the savage attack on my bare ankles this evening. Ouch!
So a bator would be the best choice for some.
It really depends on your backyard situation and how many you wish to breed. If you want lots of babies to sell and you have a good setup with brooder, then bators are the way to go, the chicks also bond better to you.
To tame mother raised chicks is quite difficult if you have a bitey hen, as I reach in and borrow a couple of chicks to cuddle twice a day!

The other big reason to get an incubator, is if you want to get eggs from breeders around the country. It's a lot easier and cheaper than shipping full grown adults, which is pretty expensive. Sometimes people want show/exhibition quality birds, rare breeds, rare varieties/colors of breeds or just a particular bloodline.

Let's face it, though, on this forum, most people just do it because it's fun!
big_smile.png

As others have said, you certainly don't need an incubator, though, if you have broody hens. Especially if you're hatching your own eggs. I love watching little chicken families, they are so sweet.

Thanks for all the replies. All of it makes sense and clears up the question for me.
I only have the 4 girls and am not looking to get into business. Too old for that. I'm just enjoying having them.

Thanks again for the explanations. All makes sense now.

Jacie

I saw where your hens are Cochins. If that is the case then you don't have to worry about broodiness. They will sit and hatch probably more than you may want.
Monty

Last edited:
Quote:
Well that is exciting to know!! What fun! I have something to look forward to but first I have to get a cochin roo since I can't find out anything about cochin/leghorn crosses and Henry is very anxious to have contact with the girls! LOL!

My four chicks are strictly momma hens responsibility! She seems to be doing a fine job as they have made it past the 3 week old mark and are free-ranging happily with Mario, the triplets (3 Red SexLink Hens) and their cochin "mommas".

I don't have time or inclination to try the incubator method. I wouldn't have even raised chicks had not the broody Mommas been SO insistent. I got tired of trying to break up their broody nests.... few weeks later I had peeps!

Back
Top Bottom