Almost done here - last bit of advice before the new tenants move in

Since you're in SoCal, you probably don't need anything for the run. We don't tend to have much of a problem with wet runs most of the time. I scatter some straw in the bottom of mine though, because it makes it easier to rake out (I found that I was raking a lot of dirt out of the run, and with the straw I can rake out straw and leave the dirt behind). The chickens seem to like scratching around in it too.

Adorable coop!
smile.png

That's really cute and LOVE the colors.

Great job with the design and nice to see you used hardware cloth and not chicken wire.

I both my big girl coop and banty coop/tractor, I use aspin shavings, wood pellets, and stall dry.

My big girl run has wood chips as I'm in the Pacific NW.

Banty tractor gets moved every morning for fresh grass.

I'm sure you chicks are going to really enjoy their new home.

Thanks for sharing.

i too use pine shaving and stall dry in coop, straw in the run, very easy to clean, well i actually haven't had to clean it yet, and the chicken have been in there since April, i just turn the shaving a couple of times a week.

I'm up in the Pacific NW too and I use pine shavings inside coop and sand in the connected run. Also have a larger run for "supervised play" and that is left with grass, or what is left of the grass!

What a cute little coop! I'll be looking to build something like that soon in my yard, if I can just figure out where it will be 35 feet from all the neighbors. Thanks for posting yours so I can add to my ideas.

My only suggestion is that you put a latch of some sort on that egg door, if you haven't already. You'd think in a highly populated area like So Cal there wouldn't be many predators, but even in my really high density beach neighborhood my dog "trees" a coon on the telephone pole at least once a month. And barks at possums almost every night.

You said you were moving them out there a while ago. How'd it go? Pictures please!

Back
Top Bottom