Almost done with a hoop house and have a few questions....PICS post #9

It does feel good, even though I had to have a little help
roll.png
My dad helped with the panels, then I recruited my 5 year old to help with other parts of it. But mostly, it was done by me!
celebrate.gif

ETA: I can't imagine a 45 sq. ft. brooder!! What on earth would you need one so big for? Actually though, if I had all my babies together, I'd probably need one bigger than that!
gig.gif

Last edited:
Wow, I'm impressed!
That is a fantastic space for your chickens.
I am making a smaller one 4'x8' for one Serama and one Green egger hens .
It's put together and they are living in it.
Next weekend, I have to rig up a door as I can't get in it now.
I'm feeling a little uneasy about making the door, it's more complicated than the frame construction.

Please tell me, do you have a center ridge of wood on top that you attached the door to or is free standing?
I'll post pics of mine when I'm finished.

Has anyone used this type of coop in winter? I live in NH and I have the cattle panels on hand. Just wondering if there's a way to make it usable in the winter. Warm enough for silkies. Thanks

I saw pictures the other day of a hoop house that was covered in snow...from Vermont I think. The whole top was covered. It was about three or four panels long (12-16 feet) and had hay bales along the inside if one wall. This was dispensed throughout the winter as bedding and was also used by the chickens as a perching area. They obviously did not move it during the winter but it made a great start for a garden come spring.

It would be very difficult to make this winter capable that far north. Mine winter in it just fine, but we're talking maybe a week or two of 20 degree weather max. You would have to do it like a green house, close both ends. You could cover with a tarp, then roll insulation, then another tarp. I have one I closed the end with osb board, it was pretty secure. I think you could do it, but not sure if it would be worth it. However, the more I talk about it, the better it sounds.

Oh yeah, in case anyone was wondering, the dog house is for the silkies
lau.gif

I was thinking of making one of these for the guineas, and another one for the ducks. I haven't decided on the ducks yet, but the guineas will be getting one eventually.
smile.png

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom