Almost lime green poop ?!?

slk70

Chirping
Mar 9, 2020
I have a roughly 1 year old silkie (given to me two weeks ago) that was making a gurgling/rattle sound and didn’t have much energy two days ago. I immediately quarantined, gave her garlic water and no food for 48 hours. Her crop does feel squishy to me but I am new at this so not positive. It is also sensitive as she pulls away when I try to massage it. Today is day 3. Yesterday and today I’ve noticed green ‘poop’ on the shavings and her vent....it’s actually not even normal poop, just green coloring. I used VetRx under her wings and around her head last night, and gave her a couple drops orally.
I don’t see/hear any sneezing, watery eyes, liquid from her mouth, coughing. I gave her a little bit of crumble and meal worms today but she was only marginally interested. Thank you for your help!
image.jpg

Chicken will need food to recover, from whatever is ailing her. I cant provide any suggestions on meds, since I never dealt with anything as such. Other peeps here may have IDEAS.
My only suggestion,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, try to give her some scrambled egg, or boiled egg, chopped up. That is one thing that most chickens will eat regardless. If she does not eat that, she may not make it out on her own. Again,,, hoping someone will suggest some meds that would cure this..
WISHING YOU BEST,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,:hugs

Thank you. I did try to give her scrambled eggs on day two but she was not interested. Will try hard boiled this morning.

Can you get some Poultry NutriDrench or Poultry Cell at your feed store and give her a few drops to 1 ml orally? I would add a lot of water to some chick crumbles and mix into a watery paste, and then offer that and some scrambled egg. It sounds like she might have a respiratory disease or possibly a crop problem. Does she breath feel sour if you press slightly onnher crop? The bright green droppings is most likely that she has not been taking food. It is so hard to know if one might be suffering from worms, coccidiosis, or other problems without getting some droppings checked by a vet with a fecal float. If you should lose her, I would get a necropsy through your state poultry vet.

I have a roughly 1 year old silkie (given to me two weeks ago) that was making a gurgling/rattle sound and didn’t have much energy two days ago. I immediately quarantined, gave her garlic water and no food for 48 hours. Her crop does feel squishy to me but I am new at this so not positive. It is also sensitive as she pulls away when I try to massage it. Today is day 3.
Any chance she ate food that had gotten moldy?
I agree, I would work on getting her hydrated, add the poultry vitamins as suggested by @Eggcessive and see if she will take a bit of wet soupy feed.

If her crop is not emptying overnight, then I would begin treating for Sour Crop.
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ar...w-to-know-which-one-youre-dealing-with.73607/

Thank you @Eggcessive and @Wyorp Rock! I don't have either one of those products but am sure I can get them at Tractor Supply and will head up there now. I have available to her hardboiled egg, applesauce, and her normal crumble...she will take a bite or two of them when I offer and seems to like the applesauce best. I will try the wet soupy feed as well.

We have gotten some rain lately and their feed did get wet, however, I immediately threw it all away and replaced with fresh. None of my other girls have any of her symptoms.

Do you think I should mix in poultry probiotics with the applesauce?

So sorry about your chick. You can upload a video to YouTube or Vimeo with a link posted here. It sounds like she is gasping for air. Can you look to see if anything is inside her beak blocking her throat? I will be heading to bed soon. I hope that she survives.

I will try. We just have her some poultry cell and that seemed to go down fine. A couple inches down, below her beak, feels very hard and I don’t remember feeling that before.

Back
Top Bottom