Almost lost my first chicken tonight!

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by LegHorn-BusHorn, Aug 7, 2009.

1. LegHorn-BusHorn

LegHorn-BusHorn Songster

May 25, 2009
    Near STL mo
    I went to close the chickens up for the night and then I notice my Ms. Margeret is not there! Earlier, when I went to look for my second egg, I found it. While I was down there I got a call from my son, saying I needed to pick up my grandson from daycare, and I needed to do it soon. I said fine and was on my way, well in my haste I forgot to block a small open area and went to get my grandson. Then when I got back, I thought all was well. So once again, I went down to put the chickens away, I then saw Ms. Margeret was not there. Well I freaked, and was watching my DGS. I live in a heavily wooded area, ran up to the house put socks and shoes and long pants to look for her. I looked for about 20 minutes to no avail. My DH said she will come back when it's time to roost. So I finally gave up! Then I looked over by my basement door and there she was! She came right to me and followed me right into the chicken coop area. WANTS TO FREE RANGE!

2. meriruka

meriruka Songster

Oct 18, 2007
    Sneaky things, chickens. I've got one or two that never want to come in, but then it gets too dark & they get scared, so I have to hunt them down.

3. Serrin

Serrin Songster

Whew!! Glad she came home! [​IMG] I don't think I could sleep if any of my girls ever went missing for the night. I'd be worried sick and feeling awful thinking about them in the night all by themselves.

They, on the other hand, would probably think nothing of it so long as they had each other, independent little cusses that they are!! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: