Almost lost them all

Cowboy Joe

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jan 20, 2009
Western NY
Hasn't been a good year when it comes to hatching eggs. Lost an entire set a few months ago to low incubator temps after multiple power outages. The last set was doing great. Almost 60% of the set had hatched by last night and the little fuzzy ones were running around like the Keystone Cops in the brooder.

Around midnight, the peeping got to be very loud & annoying. My first thought was to close the bedroom door. After about an hour of this, I rolled out of the rack to do just that then noticed there was no longer a red glow from the heat lamp in the brooder. The lamp crapped out and the chicks were so chilled that most were just laying limp. The incubators are still running so I moved them. They were all up and about again by 3:30 when I got up. Talk about dumb luck!

I usually keep a spare heat lamp just in case. Usually. One burned out last year and the backup didn't get replaced (it's on the 'to do' list). I'll be stopping on the way home tonight to pick up two.

Glad you caught it in time. I am looking forward to my first hatch ever on the 20th and then one on the 27th.

Use 2 blulbs. If 250 watts are to hot use 125's. they always go at night or when are not looking.

Back
Top Bottom