Almost ready to set them free, but first I have a few questions...

For the grit I'd mix chick and grower/pullet together, stick it in a dish, and let them pick out what they want. As they get bigger you can toss some adult size in there too.

As far as the layer feed, really give it a good look/sniff before using. If it looks off in any way, better to not use it and get a fresh bag. Optimally if you have the bag with tag sitting around, you'd want to look for the mill date so you can see how old it is by the time you get around to using it.

I offer chick grit right from the start cuz babies are adorable little idiots and like to eat their shavings. My 2 weeks old babies have daily "field trips" in the garden or their run. They have since they were a few days old. Never a problem

Great! I got little dishes that mount to the hardware cloth of the coop for the grit and oyster shell. I bought EVERYTHING and read EVERYTHING. I've wanted chickens for as long as I can remember so I was (and am) scared to death of doing anything that might jeopardize their health and safety.

I think the grower feed is around 3 weeks old and the adult food is even older, so... I'll give the feed a sniff test and I won't buy anymore before I need it because this soy-free, corn-free, non-GMO crap is fairly pricey :)

I offer chick grit right from the start cuz babies are adorable little idiots and like to eat their shavings. My 2 weeks old babies have daily "field trips" in the garden or their run. They have since they were a few days old. Never a problem

Hooray, because it's hard to keep the brooder smelling daisy fresh every day! I never realized they would waste sooo much food. They fling pine chips in their food and water and poo on their feeder and waterer. I swear I must change their water four or five times a day. I finally got tired of picking the pine chips out of their food and threw the mixture on the brooder floor.

Switching from starter to grower anytime after 6 weeks is fine. Mix with growers feed when bag is nearly empty, to smooth transition.

My local TSC carries two sizes of Granite Grit, (Chick and Poultry). I offer Adult size Poultry Grit after 7 weeks in a separate container.View attachment 2258146
I offer Oyster Shells separately after 15 weeks.

As @rosemarythyme said, the layers feed could be spoiled by the time your chickens lay, especially in the heat and humidity in Georgia.
Poultry feed should be used within 3 months of purchase stored under ideal conditions.
Feed stored in a shed under hot humid conditions, will spoil quickly. GC

I didn't have children but I am quickly realizing I would have been the type of mom who boiled her baby's pacifier every time it hit the floor :)

Everyone starts out that way. And that's good because we all want the best for those in our care.

You're asking questions. You're learning. That's all good too. Over time you'll get more confident and more relaxed. The goal, of course, is keeping them healthy and enjoying them and the experience!

You mentioned smoothing the transition by mixing food and it reminded me of upset dog tummies. Surely chicken poop can't get anymore disgusting than it already it, LOL.

Back
Top Bottom