Almost whole flock is sneezing with snot

Amber902

In the Brooder
Sep 1, 2022
I just started chicken keeping and I feel like everything bad that could happen has happened.

I brought my girls home and noticed one of them slightly sneezing but there was no liquid so it seemed to be innocent. Now, 3 of my 6 are sneezing bubbles and kind of making gurgling sounds. I gave them VETRX for a respiratory infection but it hasn’t seem to do much of anything. This has been going on for around two weeks now. They have an appointment at our Exotic Vet next week. They’re the only ones near us who take chickens so I didn’t really have anywhere else to go.

I’ve been reading about respiratory infections and have seen so many people say to euthanize the sick birds as they’ll always be a carrier. These are my pets though… They have names and their own personalities. I feel awful. I have a macaw who lives inside the house with me. He’s been my best friend for over 5 years now and hopefully for many more. Im scared my chickens could get him sick even though they’re outside and he is not.

Your Macaw is likely safe, just wash well and change clothes after caring for the chickens till they recover.
There are a limited number of diseases that require euthanasia. I'm glad you are getting vet care.
It is quite likely the illness came from the place where you bought the chickens.
I would also evaluate the ventilation in your chickens' housing. To be healthy, they can never have too much fresh air.

Your Macaw is likely safe, just wash well and change clothes after caring for the chickens till they recover.
There are a limited number of diseases that require euthanasia. I'm glad you are getting vet care.
It is quite likely the illness came from the place where you bought the chickens.
I would also evaluate the ventilation in your chicken's housing. To be healthy, they can never have too much fresh air.
Thank you… I think it must be the place they came from too as I’ve never had any chickens before. I can’t imagine where else they would have gotten sick from.

Back
Top Bottom