Aloha from the Big Island of Hawai'i

k2panman

Songster
May 6, 2018
Waiohinu, Big Island, Hawai'i
Aloha, we live on the Big Island and will soon be moving down by South Point (Waiohinu area). I've been around chickens for many years (neighbors had chickens but all I did was gather eggs, also lived with chickens in our garage (don't ask) for 7.5 years in Key Largo), but I've never had my own chickens, so I'm a newbie. My girlfriend and I want to get a few chickens to run around in the yard and eat the centipedes (they get as big as 14.5" long here) and slugs (hopefully - do chickens eat slugs?). So this forum looks like a great place to learn everything chicken.

We have mongoose here (no Martha, them ain't prairie dogs!) and I think I'm first going to have to thin the population of these invasive non-native critters to keep from having baby chicks gobbled up.

Love to hear from anyone with words of wisdom, especially anyone out here on this volcanically active little rock we call home out here in the middle of the Pacific Ocean. We'd like to find someone we can get some chicks or fertile eggs from to start our flock also.

Not sure what breeds we'd like, but I think we'll need some Easter eggs, so Araucana or Ameraucana. We mostly want the chickens to eat bugs but we love fresh eggs too. Of course we like to eat youknowwhaten too.

I have tools and can build people houses, so I'll be building my chickens a house too. Really want them to run around and eat bugs, but I'm thinking they'd be happier if they have a safe house to stay at night?

Ok, I'll go lurking around the forum post now! Mahalo for everyones help!
Keith

Hello and welcome to BYC- thanks for joining us.

On this link you'll find lots of information on almost every aspect of keeping chickens - from coop building ideas, to incubating eggs - https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/

There’s a link on the page above to the Learning Centre - it’s a great resource. If you have a specific topic in mind, just type it in the search box - there's a wealth of information on past and present threads.

Each week, various topics are discussed, which can also be a great resource - https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/topic-of-the-week-thread-archive

You can use this link to contact members in your area - Find Your State Thread

Best wishes

Pork Pie

Back
Top Bottom