aloha

rtpaik

Hatching
7 Years
Oct 23, 2012
Sunny Hawaii
hello everyone! I just signed up and thought I'd come by and say hello. I'm originally from california outside of oakland, went to school at uc davis(wonderful ag school), and somehow ended up in honolulu, hi. I've changed careers and now I'm a cook at one of the wonderful hotels in hawaii. I love how much a handful of chefs, farmers, and foodies have changed the way people feel about their food and where it comes from here in hawaii.

I do not own any chickens currently but there are always a few running around the streets even in the more urban settings. I'm actually here because I ended up with 2 gallons of bacon fat and there was no better exchange of expert knowledge on making soap with fat that in the hobby section of this forum. so one day I may own my own chickens once space and time allow, but for now I'm making bacon fat soap in sunny hawaii. not a bad life :)

Greetings from Kansas, rtpaik, and
welcome-byc.gif
! Great to have you here from sunny Hawaii! Hope you get to have yourself some chickens someday! Best of luck to you!

Hello and welcome to BYC from Kentucky! I'm sure you as a cook can appreciate the wonderful dark brown eggs you can have from the Marans breed chicken. I don't have the heart to try cooking one of mine but I've heard they are the most delicious chicken you will ever have the pleasure of eating.

Ooo...I would love to try cooking a variety of chickens to see what the different textures and quality of flavor is like. after I saw an episode of river cottage where a british celebrity chef named hugh fearnley whittingstall crossbred some local chicken strains to find the tastiest roasting bird, I've wanted to try different kinds of chickens. I believe the three birds he crossed with his indiam game were the dorking, the wyandotte, and the welsummer and he found the dorking cross to be the best tasting. any hints on birds that might do well with the warmer weather and humidity of hawaii? while i may not have a lot of space, I have a friend who has just bought a 2 acre lot with her fiance and they were looking to get some animals.

Back
Top Bottom