Aloha!

takakomay

Hatching
6 Years
Jan 25, 2013
Hi everyone! We just got a "rescue" chicken that was at the bottom of the pecking order. She was beaten up, hungry, and very scrawny. She seems to have gotten over her anxiety, is eating and gained weight. We also get an egg a day just for taking care of her!
Since we are urban dwellers with neighbors rather close, I was wondering if there are suggestions to control the "smell" of her poop. I clean her house out daily and since we let her walk around the front and back yard I do try and pickup poop. Who ever thought I would be picking up chicken poop!
Anyway, I look forward to learning about chickens as pets from all of you!

Thank you!

Here is a picture of our pet!

Hello and welcome to BYC
frow.gif
I've read that feeding chickens garlic helps reduce the ammonia smell of their poop, but I also heard conflicting opinions on how much that affects the flavour of the egg. Some say it makes the egg taste bad and some say it makes the egg taste yummy. Give it a try? Would you consider adopting another hen to keep your girl company? Chickens are social creatures like us humans and she would be very happy if she has a chicken friend.

Haha your "name" is cute! I'll try garlic and see what happens. My son told us of another chicken that needed rescuing, but we decided that we couldn't add another one. Our little one is very social and follows you around if we are outside at the same time. A few times when the family was all in the house, she would climb the steps and wait by the door! I thought this was so cute!

Thanks for replying!

Thank you all for the warm welcome. I do look forward to learning all about chickens from everyone. Right now we are such "newbies" at this whole business. I keep asking myself every morning, "what am I doing" cleaning chicken poop! But I do love our little "Velvet"!

Back
Top Bottom