Alpaca acting weird help!!!

Daniel20

In the Brooder
May 4, 2021
Hello, so yesterday at night I saw that my alpaca went next to a hay bale that had hay all over the ground. She went and laid next to it and when I got close to her she didn’t want to get up. I thought it was because she was going to give birth the next morning so I let her be. The next morning I wake up and go check on her, and she is still in the same position and doesn’t move. As I look closer she has poop all over her self, so I didn’t think that was a good sign. I went to touch her and she still wouldn’t move (she normally would just get up and run away). We saw her trying to get up but she couldn’t, so My wife and I rolled her on her other side. After that she got up just fine, and she started to walk. The walk was a bit weird. I don’t really know how to explain it but it looked like her legs fell asleep on the side she was laying. As soon as she walked like 4 steps she started to poop and urinate. Then she took another 4 stops to the dung pile and she pooped again. I’m not quite sure what is wrong with her or if she is going to be in labor soon? She then followed us with the rest of the alpacas and went to eat her grain just fine. Can anyone help me or tell me if anything is wrong??
Thank you!

Hello, so yesterday at night I saw that my alpaca went next to a hay bale that had hay all over the ground. She went and laid next to it and when I got close to her she didn’t want to get up. I thought it was because she was going to give birth the next morning so I let her be. The next morning I wake up and go check on her, and she is still in the same position and doesn’t move. As I look closer she has poop all over her self, so I didn’t think that was a good sign. I went to touch her and she still wouldn’t move (she normally would just get up and run away). We saw her trying to get up but she couldn’t, so My wife and I rolled her on her other side. After that she got up just fine, and she started to walk. The walk was a bit weird. I don’t really know how to explain it but it looked like her legs fell asleep on the side she was laying. As soon as she walked like 4 steps she started to poop and urinate. Then she took another 4 stops to the dung pile and she pooped again. I’m not quite sure what is wrong with her or if she is going to be in labor soon? She then followed us with the rest of the alpacas and went to eat her grain just fine. Can anyone help me or tell me if anything is wrong??
Thank you!
I apologize that no one has answered you. You may have better luck on the sister site, backyardherds.

I will say though I would definitely call a vet in. If she's due for labor soon and acting like this, the baby could be stuck or having complications.

Where do you live? In some places meningeal worms are a real problem. They infect the brain. Sounds like that could be the case here but I am just guessing.

Where do you live? In some places meningeal worms are a real problem. They infect the brain. Sounds like that could be the case here but I am just guessing.
We live in Virginia but we have been giving the alpacas dectomax. Could it be possible that the worm could still go through? My alpaca looks like she is doing fine now. She is grazing and walking around.

I apologize that no one has answered you. You may have better luck on the sister site, backyardherds.

I will say though I would definitely call a vet in. If she's due for labor soon and acting like this, the baby could be stuck or having complications.
We will call our local vet hopefully they know about camalids, as most of them don’t really know much about them. Thank you!!

We will call our local vet hopefully they know about camalids, as most of them don’t really know much about them. Thank you!!
If she is acting better it is not meningeal (sp) worm. They can be a problem in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Probably not in Virginia. Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't know very much about meningeal worms and even less about alpacas.

If she is acting better it is not meningeal (sp) worm. They can be a problem in Minnesota and Wisconsin. Probably not in Virginia. Sorry I can't be of more help. I don't know very much about meningeal worms and even less about alpacas.
It’s okay!! Thank you for the reply

Back
Top Bottom