Alpha Gal--Tick Bite--Who Has It?

gatrapper

Songster
8 Years
May 20, 2015
Georgia
I got diagnosed with alpha gal back in December.

Haven't had any red meat for the last two years.

I haven't gone into any anaphylactic episodes, but I go experience a lot of G.I. issues, sweating, nausea, etc.

Anyone else dealing with this issue? Has it started to get better over time?

Modify message

Down south stuff. I'm in Wisconsin. Here we have lymes, annaplasmosis, and a few other nasty diseases to deal with.

My daughter had it. She would get hives and I couldn’t ever figure out what specifically was causing it so I took her to an allergist. They told us she had alpha gal and even had different levels for the different red meats. Pork was the highest. However, hers has seemed to have gone away. She eats red meat including pork occasionally and hasn’t had hives in over a year. Her allergist said if she gets bit again by a tick, it could come back worse than before.

Close family friend had the severe type. His has gotten worse over the years but that may be because of how long it took for them to figure out what was causing his reactions. I think he went into anaphylaxis the last time.
My mom and I have both been tested for it over the years but luckily came back negative. Never figure out what caused moms reaction but I ended up having a even rarer food allergy.

I got diagnosed with alpha gal back in December.

Haven't had any red meat for the last two years.

I haven't gone into any anaphylactic episodes, but I go experience a lot of G.I. issues, sweating, nausea, etc.

Anyone else dealing with this issue? Has it started to get better over time?

Modify message
I have it too! I was diagnosed January 2022. So almost a year without steak or bacon. I’m really reactive even to the fumes from cooking meat. I’ve had several episodes that sent me to the ER. I no longer enter places that cook mammal meat—restaurants, delis, gas stations etc.

Scary stuff for outdoors sort of folks.
Down south stuff. I'm in Wisconsin. Here we have lymes, annaplasmosis, and a few other nasty diseases to deal with.
Here you can add Rocky Mountain spotted fever and erlichiosis to the list. So far, to the best of my knowledge, Lymes is the only one that I have had.

Back
Top Bottom