Alpha Rooster is dead, flock is acting ODD!

Pics

OzarkChooks

Songster
Jul 12, 2021
Ok so over a month ago my husband culled one of our roosters due to aggression. Ever since then, the pullets (6 month old) have been acting strange. There is still another rooster for them, but it doesn't seem to matter. All of them stopped laying the day after Jefferson was culled. Since then only two have resumed laying. Also, the previously docile beta rooster is now the only rooster and is not docile anymore. Is this normal behavior?

He flogged my kids, my mother and myself. Flogged my kids multiple times. Bit and flogged my 5 year old and drew blood on her legs and arms right in front of my husband. My husband said it was game over after that. He was very rough with the pullets so I find it weird that they are so affected by his absence.

He flogged my kids, my mother and myself. Flogged my kids multiple times. Bit and flogged my 5 year old and drew blood on her legs and arms right in front of my husband. My husband said it was game over after that. He was very rough with the pullets so I find it weird that they are so affected by his absence.
Do not blame you one single jot for culling.
Maybe the culling coincided with the shortening of the days, and is part of a rest cycle and seasonal? Do you have a light for them? Or are they moulting?
Rest assured they will recover, whatever the reason.

I'm pretty sure they aren't moulting, feathers all look normal. We weren't planning on using any lights during winter, going to let them rest for the season if they want. I just didn't know if hens normally stopped laying when a flock member died.

Yes it's normal that your remaing rooster is now acting up.
Before, he was kept in check by the alfalfa rooster. Now with nothing to subdue him he is going all out randy teenager on the hens. Probably chasing them down, pulling feathers and giving them no rest.
He may also turn human aggresive and will need watching closely.
Was he related to your first rooster?
If you have small children I do not recommend a rooster unless they (the chickens) are confined.
So sorry that your family was hurt.
Like many folks right now, I am having to butcher my extra roosters as I can find them no homes
No need to keep a bad rooster when so many nice ones are avaliable.
Good luck!

So, he was a bad boy. I would give the rest of the birds to adjust to the change.

I'm pretty sure they aren't moulting, feathers all look normal. We weren't planning on using any lights during winter, going to let them rest for the season if they want. I just didn't know if hens normally stopped laying when a flock member died.
I don't use lights, usually most of my birds continue to lay through the winter, so I get eggs year round.

Ok so over a month ago my husband culled one of our roosters due to aggression. Ever since then, the pullets (6 month old) have been acting strange. There is still another rooster for them, but it doesn't seem to matter. All of them stopped laying the day after Jefferson was culled. Since then only two have resumed laying. Also, the previously docile beta rooster is now the only rooster and is not docile anymore. Is this normal behavior?
Did the Beta turn aggressive, or is he over protective?

I've never had a Beta turn aggressive after removing an Alpha.

Back
Top Bottom