Already addicted to the BYC Forum!!

Discussion in 'Family Life - Stories, Pictures & Updates' started by skya328, Nov 11, 2008.

1. skya328

skya328 Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2008
    Dallas, TX
    My husband and I are just getting into having chickens. Our intent right now is to have 3 or 4 hens for eggs. We'll see if it turns into more! We just built our chicken tractor this past weekend and need to do paint it this weekend. (You can see pictures on my other posting in coop run & design, " New Chicken Tractor... paint question.")

We have been looking at the BYC website along with some others for a while now, but I just discovered the Forum yesterday. My husband has been the one doing all the chicken research and I was a bit more hesitant about it. Now I'm the one that can't peel myself away! He was laughing at me last night. Just wait til he gets on here too...

Since I'm new to chickens, I'm interested in getting input on the best types of chickens for a novice. I love the look of silkies, but not sure if certain types should/shouldn't be together, maybe they're more difficult, etc. Any info is welcomed!

2. Lunachick

Lunachick Chicken Slave

Mar 19, 2007
    Brick, NJ
    Welcome to BYC ! You're at the right place. You can check under BREEDS to give you some info. Have fun. [​IMG]

3. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Another place you can look for info (to compare breeds) is here: http://www.ithaca.edu/staff/jhenderson/chooks/chooks.html

Of
    course, it always helps to ask BYC members what they think about the breeds you've chosen once you narrow it down. They can give you pointers on potential problems and health or behavior issues that you may deal with given your selections.

4. nhnanna

nhnanna Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    The chicken coop
    [​IMG]

5. amyquilt

amyquilt Serama Mama

May 17, 2008
    Amarillo, TX
    BYC is truly an addiction, of a great sort!

[​IMG] and congrats on getting chickens! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by