1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Already Feathering?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdilapi, Sep 24, 2014.

1. jdilapi

jdilapi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    I have bought baby chicks to raise before. But this is my first time breeding, hatching, and raising right from my farm. These chicks had wing feathers at 2 and 3 days old. I never noticed this in the other batches I've purchased in the past. In fact if I remember right, it took a month to start seeing feathers. These are a week old, and they all have wings now and some have tail feathers. Is this normal? Or are they advancing due to cold weather changes? . Thanks for any info.

2. sunflour

sunflour Flock Master Premium Member

Jan 10, 2013
    Macon,GA
    The start getting tail and wing feathers very quickly, in just a few days. Bet you are just paying more attention to these since you hatched them?

3. Yorkshire Coop

Yorkshire Coop Moderator Staff Member

Aug 16, 2014
    Yorkshire, UK
    My Coop
    X2 with sunflour. I have some polish that I hatched a week ago and after three days you could see the wing feathers. Now at a week old they have full wing feathers. And tail feathers coming along nicely too. I think your chicks sound normal. Good luck with them :frow

4. jdilapi

jdilapi Out Of The Brooder

Aug 6, 2014
    Thanks for the info. Good luck to you also

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by