Alright who moved the eggs!?

JakRat

Songster
10 Years
Apr 22, 2009
Dover
SOoooo I went into the coop this morning to find that the eggs I had moved there (they were scattered in the coop only 2 though) where not in the nest. I was like great they ate them... but when I looked in the shavings around the nest I found that SOMEBODY had moved them out... I didnt even know hens could do this! Why would they move eggs... there is plenty of room in the box.

Hens OFTEN move eggs. They steal them from each other, too!

I actually witnessed my broody hen moving eggs and have a photo of it... They tuck the eggs under their "chins" into their fluffy bosoms and shuffle over to where they want to set on 'em.

41679_buffymovingegg.jpg

In that photo, she's moving a green egg over the lip of the nest box.

Quote:
LOL never a dull moment!

I am concerned that maybe my banty rooster moved them... When I opened up the coop my rooster and two easter eggers who arent laying yet were up there and they had a look on their face that said "BUSTED!"

Probably not the rooster. Roos WILL get into nests and suss them out for hens, especially pullets close to laying. They get into the nests, turn around, and cluck to the girls to say, "Look, this is a good place to lay eggs, sweetie!"

Back
Top Bottom