Alternative (DIY) Leg bands

Sammbalina

Songster
5 Years
Oct 1, 2018
Shelby County, AL
Looking for alternative leg bands, NOT ZIPTIES. I do not like the idea of zipties, because when you clip off the extra, it leaves a sharp edge, and I don't like the idea of my birds carrying around an extra weapon. I have Royal Palm Turkeys and I am trying to figure out a way to Identify my hens, two are related, the third is not, before I can no longer tell her apart. My goal is to eventually get her her own tom and possibly another hen for a friend so I can have 2 unrelated breeding groups. However, I am having a hard time finding leg bands for turkeys that aren't bulk. The few places I've seen have leg bands for Turkeys have packs of 50 all the same color, and no multi color packs, so I was thinking about just making something. I was thinking about elastic, that way if it snags, it can slip off, and if they grow anymore, which they are pretty much full grown so not likely, it's less likely to cause problems if I don't catch it in time. They would be easy enough to remove as well, and I could add beads or color/dye them for Identification purposes. Pros? Cons? Does anyone have any other ideas?

Last edited:
Looking for alternative leg bands, NOT ZIPTIES. I do not like the idea of zipties, because when you clip off the extra, it leaves a sharp edge, and I don't like the idea of my birds carrying around an extra weapon. I have Royal Palm Turkeys and I am trying to figure out a way to Identify my hens, two are related, the third is not, before I can no longer tell her apart. My goal is to eventually get her her own tom and possibly another hen for a friend so I can have 2 unrelated breeding groups. However, I am having a hard time finding leg bands for turkeys that aren't bulk. The few places I've seen have leg bands for Turkeys have packs of 50 all the same color, and no multi color packs, so I was thinking about just making something. I was thinking about elastic, that way if it snags, it can slip off, and if they grow anymore, which they are pretty much full grown so not likely, it's less likely to cause problems if I don't catch it in time. They would be easy enough to remove as well, and I could add beads or color/dye them for Identification purposes. Pros? Cons? Does anyone have any other ideas?

there are metal and plastic type bands available in a variety of sizes. They click together and leave no sharp edges. Usually they are prestamped with some kind of ID code. Alternatively, there are special hole punches for the webbing between the toes of fowl. You can put a hole on the one you want to ID. Often do e to chicks and the hole stays a hole for their lives.

Maybe I should word what I'm looking for better. I'm looking for DIY leg band ideas. Like I said, the only turkey sized plastic bands I have been able to find are large packs, usually 50+ of all one color. I haven't been able to find a multicolored pack, which is what I would need. Plus they are Royal Palms, so on the smaller side of turkeys, so I don't know if a standard "turkey" sized band will be too big or not, or if I need to go smaller, and if so, how much smaller, and I would hate to buy them, and then not be able to use them. I would like something that I could create a color code system for, and be able to look at my turkeys without having to handle them, as my adults are not the tamest things, and be able to tell who is who. The only time I'm able to lay hands on them is at night when they are roosting, so something like a hole punched in their foot is not going to be noticeable enough and the punches on metal bands I have heard are hard to read from even a short distance.

I do not know how big turkey legs are, but I got the medium size for this link and they fit loosely on all but my Barred Rocks. You could try the large for the turkeys. It does come with twenty-four, but there are four different colors. These have been impressively durable, my 13 hens have only lost one in 4+ months.

https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/p...ts-ez-leg-bands-large-pack-of-24?cm_vc=-10005
Do the latches slide together....easily?
How big is the diameter when latched?
Wish they told that on the link info..or maybe I missed it?

Back
Top Bottom