Alternative Feed?

Discussion in 'Pigeons and Doves' started by adubsroit, Oct 28, 2010.

1. adubsroit

adubsroit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 9, 2010
    My local feed store is letting me down so I need a new option, at least for the time being. I went to pick up pigeon feed and apparently it is on back order, and I can't expect it to be in for at least a week or two. I went to the other feed store (a chain) and when I asked I got an odd look and offered chicken scratch. Not surprising as they rarely have the feeds I need. So any suggestions on what I should feed until they get pigeon feed in stock? I have heard that wild bird seed is a safe option is this true?

2. Robo

Robo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 15, 2010
    Knoxville,TN
    You can feed them wild bird seed and millet spray. That will do for a few weeks. Mine love it when I can't get feed. They will eat millet all day long.

3. Mary Of Exeter

Mary Of Exeter Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2009
    Rowan County, NC
    Wild bird seed or chicken pellets are good.

4. NewHopePoultry

NewHopePoultry Overrun With Chickens

Apr 9, 2007
    Troy,Missouri
    I use Wild bird seed when I dont have anything else.
    How long can they last on Wild bird seed?

5. Dingo

Dingo Chillin' With My Peeps

I fed mine wild bird seed, lentils, rice and about a 1/4 game bird pellets. They did really well on it. If anything was left it was always the pellets.

6. Okla-doodle-doo

Okla-doodle-doo Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 8, 2008
    Portland,Tn
    See if they have "milo". Its the only grain I feed mine. They also get all the game bird crumbles they want. They are healthy and raise some nice babies.

7. Ohne-Fehler

Ohne-Fehler Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    Oregon
    I think my birds are on strike now:lau. I was feeding them this wild bird mix i picked up at the local hardware store and they loved. I would fill their feeder in the morning and by the time I went out at night it was all gone. Now that they are back on their pigeon mix they seem to just be tossing it all over their pen rather than eating it.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by