Alternative to Scratch feed???

mcd311

In the Brooder
6 Years
Apr 7, 2013
I hate walking into the coop and seeing all the cracked corn in the dirt, obviously none of my chickens are eating it from the scratch.

Has anyone found an alternative to Chicken Scratch?
I'm wondering if the horse rations I buy for my milking goats would be better, but I don't know if the molasses in it is bad for chickens or not. Any ideas out there?
Or
If I give them an open pasture will they need the grains from scratch?

You also do not have to give scratch. It is just a snack. If you are feeding a good feed then it should be complete nutrition. Scratch is just optional.

You also do not have to give scratch. It is just a snack. If you are feeding a good feed then it should be complete nutrition. Scratch is just optional.

Currently they've eaten their run dry so I give laying mash and scratch so they get enough to eat. I love the occasional dried grasshopper legs I find in the premixed scratch, and I'm sure the hens do too!

Once I switch their location I'm hoping the pasture will take the place of scratch.

I didn't realize scratch was a treat, my chicken predecessor just said I was to give it to them everyday :) that's why I love this forum!! Poultry education!

So if scratch is just a treat, is there anything wrong with giving them Horse rations that I'm already buying?

I'm trying to cut down on all the different bins of feed I'm collecting with each animal I add to the farm :)

I have no experience with horses and do not know what is in horse rations so I think you would just need to read the labels and make a judgement call. If you want to keep things simple I would just have a complete nutrition feed available 24/7. That is all they really need. Too much of not good snacks is worse than no snacks at all.

Back
Top Bottom