Alternatives to Processing Chickens Yourself

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by new2chickens2011, Oct 4, 2011.

1. new2chickens2011

new2chickens2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2011
    Say you want to raise meat chickens (just a few to try it out, say 5), and you don't have the time, ability, supplies, space, or whatever to kill/process them yourself? What do you do? Where do you take them?

2. Stacykins

Stacykins Overrun With Chickens

Jan 19, 2011
    Escanaba, MI
    I know of a local meat processor who normally does large livestock such as pigs and cattle. But if they get enough customers, they'll set aside a day for poultry processing. It is just a hassle with the feathers and whatnot, which is why poultry processing isn't an everyday thing. I am going to do my birds myself, though, since it is a good learning experience for this past city slicker!

I am sure if you call around you can find a processor who would do your birds, even in that small of a number.

3. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    Well now hang on a second............... I know most people can be under the impression that it always has to be a big project, but there can be minimal approaches to it, it doesn't have to be difficult. Sure I have all the scalding stuff, burners, sinks, scafolds..... the works.

But years ago before I did, it still was kinda easy in very small batches, with out all the fancy stuff. There are always two way's skin a cat so to speak.

4. Sparks

Sparks Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 10, 2007
    WI
    We have a Amish family do our butchering. The only downfall is you correspond by letter. By the time we get a note back they are ready for them in the next day or two. They do a great job though. Not something we want to do on our own but know we grow good meat. I believe it costs $3 a bird. I find that reasonable

5. galanie

galanie Treat Dispenser No More

Aug 20, 2010
    Colmesneil,TX
    Yep. (to Al's post) - You can just have a stump set up and skin them like I did. Didn't take much at all. Sharp knife and a garbage bag. And a hose. Took them inside, put in a bag, and in the fridge right away.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
  6. al6517

al6517 Real Men can Cook

May 13, 2008
    And for most folks in small amount's that makes allot of sense, and is their best choice............ hopefully with better responses.

7. LiLRedCV

LiLRedCV Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 25, 2010
    Land of the Rain
    You can do a Google search for poultry processing and then call around for prices. It varies as it depends if you want the basics of basics (leave the feet and neck on) or it you want it to look like a whole chicken from the grocery store or even a cut up one. Personally, I prefer to just get them to look like the whole chickens in the store and then I can cut them up from there...

Some areas have mobile poultry processing units that will come to your property to do the job. Try CraigsList to see if there are any advertising there or even look in your Yellow Pages or even inquire at your local Co-Op. They're not always listed as the obvious... try poultry process, butchering, slaughterhouse, abattoirs, etc. Mother Earth News just had a story about the abattoirs (aka mobile slaughterhouse) in their Oct/Nov 2011 edition (page 21). They included a website: goo.gl/43Wvt. [and YES!! That is an actual web address!!!!! Be sure to add that period at the end too...]

Good luck!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by