Alternatives to Sweet PDZ on poop board?

I prefer something that's cleaned daily, I don't think I could stand the coop after a week with the output our flock has. The peat does a great job binding the smell and moisture, but I don't want to just mix in the stuff from under the roosts, because I can keep the same stuff in there for longer if we remove the obvious droppings more frequently.

The airspace in the coop is only about 4 cubic meters, so I think the air quality would be less than satisfactory quite quickly without daily cleanups.

I Googled for the Sweet PDZ website and they say that it is clinoptilolite zeolite. I Googled that and here in the UK you can buy human food grade, feed grade and just land use grade from RS Minerals Ltd. It is also available on eBay.co.uk. So there shouldn't be any problems getting it in Finland! Good luck.

I Googled for the Sweet PDZ website and they say that it is clinoptilolite zeolite. I Googled that and here in the UK you can buy human food grade, feed grade and just land use grade from RS Minerals Ltd. It is also available on eBay.co.uk. So there shouldn't be any problems getting it in Finland! Good luck.
I'd prefer to source it locally, because shipping for that heavy packages is quite costly. Ends up costing 3-4 times more, at least. I'm guessing actually about 30 pounds for a decent sized bag from the UK.

I have linoleum covering my poop board. I just scrape it off every day. I use the DL method, so I just scrape it off onto the floor. You could scrape it into a bucket and dump in your compost heap.

My poop board is also the roof of my in coop brooder. I use a kids sized hoe and just scrape it off.

I have used both Stall Dry and Sweet PDZ, (so I am familiar with both products) the one I favor the most is Sweet PDZ. There are two main reasons for this, one being that Sweet PDZ has no added perfumes or scents to "cover up" the urine smell, therefore there are no added chemicals, it is all natural. Stall Dry must add a scent (something minty) that hides the smell which ultimately makes me nervous with the chemicals that could be in that... The other reason is that Stall Dry is a clay based product, so it can get very slippery on harder surfaces when wet and when it dries, it becomes very hard to clean off anything. Sweet PDZ doesn't add any extra clean up, which is a blessing, considering all the clean up already with a chicken coop ha! Though these products are said to do the same thing, Sweet PDZ in my mind ultimately is the better product. Hope this helps! Check out both their websites too, it answers a lot of questions!

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom