Am I a hypocrite that I treat my chickens as loving pets but I eat chicken from Popeye's or KFC?

bridgetchicken

Songster
Sep 19, 2022
I love my pet chickens because they are large and fluffy birds that like to cuddle with me. However, I was at a pet store and this old guy (who couldn't mind his own business) said to me to stop playing with your "food" and that chickens were only good for meat. Am I a hypocrite that I treat my chickens as kind and loving pets, but I eat chicken from Popeye's or KFC?

But is it okay that I continue to treat my chickens as pets the same way I treat my dogs?
Of course it is! What's the alternative? Ignore them? Abuse them? Treat them the way you are comfortable treating them and don't worry about what any random stranger thinks. It's good that they are loved!

I have eaten some of my own chickens and I don't feel a bit bad about it, and I'll tell you why. If I'm going to eat chicken (and I am), I'd a lot rather eat chicken that I know was raised in a healthy, happy environment and not in a crowded, nasty cage it can barely turn around in. My birds play in the sunshine all their lives. They scratch in the grass and dirt. They chase bugs and enjoy the company of their flock mates. They live as nature intended, not in warehouses. They are humanely harvested. I'm eating the most healthy way I know how. And if anyone doesn't like it, that's their problem, not mine. Enjoy your birds.

I love my pet chickens because they are large and fluffy birds that like to cuddle with me. However, I was at a pet store and this old guy (who couldn't mind his own business) said to me to stop playing with your "food" and that chickens were only good for meat. Am I a hypocrite that I treat my chickens as kind and loving pets, but I eat chicken from Popeye's or KFC?
No, you are not. Don’t mind what he tells you.

You are completely allowed, as a human, to be fine with eating things you don’t have an attachment to. You don’t have to be vegan and not eat meat just because you have chickens and love them

But is it okay that I continue to treat my chickens as pets the same way I treat my dogs?
Yes, thats perfectly fine.

Some people as SilverBirds pointed out give them a wonderful life full of snuggles before butchering point. Thats amazing because if your giving them a good life and kill them in a way thats painless thats the best thing you can do!

Treat your animals wonderful, spoil them and love them. You are allowed to eat whatever you like and if someone makes you feel otherwise that you have to pick one then their wrong. Don’t treat your chickens differently, love them the same, eat what you want.

Of course it is! What's the alternative? Ignore them? Abuse them? Treat them the way you are comfortable treating them and don't worry about what any random stranger thinks. It's good that they are loved!

I have eaten some of my own chickens and I don't feel a bit bad about it, and I'll tell you why. If I'm going to eat chicken (and I am), I'd a lot rather eat chicken that I know was raised in a healthy, happy environment and not in a crowded, nasty cage it can barely turn around in. My birds play in the sunshine all their lives. They scratch in the grass and dirt. They chase bugs and enjoy the company of their flock mates. They live as nature intended, not in warehouses. They are humanely harvested. I'm eating the most healthy way I know how. And if anyone doesn't like it, that's their problem, not mine. Enjoy your birds.
Thats a really great way to eat meat. :hugs I don’t eat it but i wish more people were like that, if they gave them a good life where they can actually walk things would be so much better. It makes me feel sad knowing they had a horrible life before they get killed and their life was useless up to that point, just put into the world to take them out.

And to be clear im not talking about BYC, talking about cruel warehouses. Not that its all of them, just some.

Last edited:
I just typed flock and it autocorrected to holocaust..?
Uh Oh Omg GIF by ESPN

Back
Top Bottom