Am I a total dork if....

Bleenie

Wyan-DO's
10 Years
Jul 14, 2009
The Beautiful Pacific NW ,WA
I 'cheep' at the hatching ducklings in the incubator? it's so fun to watch them wiggle and listen to them talk back, i just love it. plus it seems to encourage them to wiggle out of there a little quicker!
tongue2.gif

Quote:
Heavens, no. I have been talking to the eggs since about day 14/15. I hope it helps to socialize them to humans, since mine are strictly pets and I want them to be as friendly as possible.

The parent Rouens I bought last year as day-olds, ordered through a feed store from a hatchery, have been skittish and not trusting from day one. They will now, after a year, come up with a couple of feet of me for treats, but any attempt to move or touch them and they act like I'm about to consign them to the pot for duck confit.

So, I'm trying to get the hatchlings to accept humans. As incubator birds, they will know only me and my family from the get go.

It seems to be working. The first one, now about 10 days old, is really tame and friendly and wants to be with us constantly. Also likes to be picked up, held, and snuggled, and takes all kinds of treats right out of my fingers with relish. The 2nd and 3rd ones are about 5 days old and are also pretty tame, but not quite as trusting as #1, I think because they had each other and weren't "only ducklings". Duck #4 just hatched sometime this morning between 3:00 and 6:00 am. No. 5, the final one was making significant progress at hatching at the time I had to leave this morning, and will be out by the time I get home from work.

Not only do i cheep at all my ducklings, bleenie, but I quack at my ducks thru the kitchen window if I can't see them! They quack back to let me know they are ok
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom