Am I allowed Back Yard Chickens in Town of Greenburgh NY, Westchester?

syedali

In the Brooder
9 Years
Mar 5, 2010
I like to grow chicken in my back yard in a home in the town of Greenburgh, NY Westchester County but I do not know the law whether it is allowed or not. I have a nice size back yard about 100x125 ft., would love to utilize the land for growing chicken and other fresh fruits and vegie for this spring and summer. I would greatly appreciate your help. Thanks!

Quote:
I used to live in White Plains. Good luck with your endeavors. It's worth any time you invest on finding out the rules.

Quote:
I found following under "Exotic and Wild Animals" is chicken considered a wild or exotic animal?

Findings and legislative intent.
A.
The Town Board finds that the display and use of wild or exotic animals is dangerous to public health and safety. Certain exhibitions featuring animals bring non-native animal species, particularly those made attractions by their size or reputation for danger, in close contact with humans. In certain instances, these creatures are made a special feature for children. The animals may live in substandard conditions completely alien to their natural habitats, with poor diet, inadequate exercise and generally substandard living conditions. Instances of animals escaping from exhibitions, stampeding and attacking people, causing injury and death, have been documented.
B.
Bringing the public into close proximity with these animals creates an unnecessary hazard to members of the public, as well as operators and performers of these displays. The Board intends, by adoption of this chapter into law, to minimize hazards to the physical and mental health of the public and to promote the protection of animals by prohibiting the display of wild or exotic animals on Town property.
C.
This chapter also intends to enhance the protection of animals. By limiting the commercial venues of displays and rodeos, opportunities to profit from subjecting animals to cruel activities for amusement and entertainment will be restricted.

Prohibited acts.
A.
A person must not conduct or operate a display of wild or exotic animals on any property located within the Town of Greenburgh in which the Town has a property interest.
B.
A person shall not conduct or operate a rodeo on any property located within the Town of Greenburgh in which the Town has a property interest.

... blah... blah.... blah!!!

I do not know if this include chicken, does it?

Quote:
I think not. I'll bet there's another part of the regulations that address "farm animals", "livestock", poultry / fowl, or just plain ol' chickens.
If you can find that, post it here.

Quote:
I think not. I'll bet there's another part of the regulations that address "farm animals", "livestock", poultry / fowl, or just plain ol' chickens.
If you can find that, post it here.

Buff, I love your quote "Always think like a chicken, no matter how weird it gets." I'll look to see if I find anything else but in your opinion this article does not prohibit having chicken in backyard, right?

Quote:
I found following under "Exotic and Wild Animals" is chicken considered a wild or exotic animal?

Findings and legislative intent.
A.
The Town Board finds that the display and use of wild or exotic animals is dangerous to public health and safety. Certain exhibitions featuring animals bring non-native animal species, particularly those made attractions by their size or reputation for danger, in close contact with humans. In certain instances, these creatures are made a special feature for children. The animals may live in substandard conditions completely alien to their natural habitats, with poor diet, inadequate exercise and generally substandard living conditions. Instances of animals escaping from exhibitions, stampeding and attacking people, causing injury and death, have been documented.
B.
Bringing the public into close proximity with these animals creates an unnecessary hazard to members of the public, as well as operators and performers of these displays. The Board intends, by adoption of this chapter into law, to minimize hazards to the physical and mental health of the public and to promote the protection of animals by prohibiting the display of wild or exotic animals on Town property.
C.
This chapter also intends to enhance the protection of animals. By limiting the commercial venues of displays and rodeos, opportunities to profit from subjecting animals to cruel activities for amusement and entertainment will be restricted.

Prohibited acts.
A.
A person must not conduct or operate a display of wild or exotic animals on any property located within the Town of Greenburgh in which the Town has a property interest.
B.
A person shall not conduct or operate a rodeo on any property located within the Town of Greenburgh in which the Town has a property interest.

... blah... blah.... blah!!!

I do not know if this include chicken, does it?

Under the chapter 345-5 DEFINITIONS, it says:

WILD OR EXOTIC ANIMAL
Any of the following animals, including the following hybridized with domestic species:

A. Nonhuman primates and prosimians.
B. Felids, other than ordinary domesticated cats.
C. Canis, including wolfs and wolf hybrids.
D. Ursids.
E. Elephants.
F. Marine animals.
G. Crocodilians.
H. Marsupials.
I. Snakes and reptiles.
J. Ungulates.
K. Hyenas.
L. Mustelids.
M. Procyonids.
N. Endentates.
O. Viverrids.
P. Camels.
Q. Cetaceans.

None of the above include chickens, i.e., a chicken is NOT a marsupial, nor an endentate, etc. The animal classification of the domestic chicken is:
Kingdom: Animalia
Phylum: Chordata
Class: Aves
Order: Galliformes
Family: Phasianidae
Genus: Gallus
Species: Gallus gallus
Subspecies: Gallus gallus domesticus

I emailed the town and here is the reply I got :(

Sent: Friday, July 06, 2012 9:26 AM
Cc: Timothy Lewis; Building Department
Subject: RE: chickens

Pigs, bees and fowl are specifically prohibited pursuant to the Town Zoning Ordinance.

John Lucido
Building Inspector
Town of Greenburgh

The Town zoning ordinance says you cannot farm them, it does not say you cannot have them as pets.

FARM
A property of at least five acres where general farming, truck gardening, nurseries, greenhouses and similar projects and activities are carried on for gain or profit, but where neither animals nor poultry are maintained except for the use of occupants of the property; also, land under cultivation on which no building exists. This definition does not include the raising of fur-bearing animals, livery or boarding stables, kennels, abattoirs and piggeries.

KENNEL. http://ecode360.com/10601842?highlight=pets#10601842
A use or building in which the principal activity is the keeping, raising, breeding or boarding of dogs or cats or other animals which may be considered household pets. For the purpose of this chapter, any such activity, excluding boarding, shall not be considered a kennel where accessory to a principal residential use, provided that not more than three animals exceeding six months of age are kept.

So if you consider them pets you would be allowed no more than 3.

Back
Top Bottom