Am I being paranoid? or is something wrong?

speakup4kids

Songster
9 Years
Apr 3, 2010
Yuba City , CA
I'm a first time Serama owner and about 4 1/2 weeks ago 3 chicks hatched. Just to make me go crazy, they all look completely different... One is tiny, one right in the middle and then there is one that I haven't got a clue what is going on with he is so big. Because I like to worry about pretty much everything I have been watching the little one and am worried that he is not o.k. He doesn't really act like there is anything wrong with him, other than every so often looking like he's tired of dealing with his long feathers getting in his way
big_smile.png
but he is just so dang tiny! I have zero experience with these guys... Any opinions on him? Do I need to worry? He is with my 2 week silkie right now.
53071_100_0575.jpg

53071_100_0595.jpg

53071_100_0599.jpg

Chicks all develop at different rates. I had only 3 chicks and they all developed at different speeds.
I never had a serama but, it seems to be feathering out well and already developing its comb.

Hi, Don't know much about Seramas, but the little guy seems to have a little comb already.
The big chick has different coloured feet (Lovely by the way!). Does anyone who is familiar with the breed know if these chicks are pure breed?
Whatever they look healthy and very cute,

Sandie

Seramas come in three size categories, and from what I've read, they don't breed true to size. A chick from parents in the smallest size category could grow up to be in the largest size category, etc. Keep in mind, though, that the largest size category for a full grown Serama hen is just slightly more than a pound!

I raised 5 Serama cross breeds last year, and now I have 9. Yes, they are tiny! Unbelieveably so, when they first hatch. Some of mine were only around 20 grams to begin with. I chart the weights of mine as they grow. Some start out small and stay that way, while others pick up the pace and surpass their clutch mates. In my first batch of chicks, the second smallest chick turned out to be my second largest hen.

If you want to weigh your chick, I can compare it with the weights of mine at around the same age, but I bet it's going to be well within the range of what I've been seeing for these little ones.

Not so sure about the standard sizes for that breed, but one of my girls is a bit smallers than her flockmate, even as a little chick...just enough of a difference that I can always pick her out. But I wouldn't be too worried as long as they are healthy.

Yes, sorry if I wasn't clear... the other chick is a silkie. It is my only chick still close to Pee-wee's size (my Serama) The other ones aren't mean to him but they are so big he tends to get stepped on so I moved him and the silkie to their own brooder. He was honestly born with that comb just that size and it hasn't changed in size or color one bit since hatching. ? (weird)

He weighs 1 5/8 of an ounce at 4 1/2 weeks. It would be great to have something to compare him to because he is wayyyy lighter than my other two seramas. He did seem to be stuck at 5/8 of an ounce for the first two weeks of his life but he has had a growth spurt recently!
big_smile.png

Thank you for the responses I am a major worrywort!!

Heidi

1 5/8 ounces is about 45 grams, right? So I went and checked the weight charts for my chicks this spring. At around 4 weeks, my smallest Serama cross breed was 82 grams, with the largest one 126 grams. They're hybrids, one quarter Serama, three quarter OEGB/d'Uccle, so they should be bigger than pure Seramas.

She's little, certainly, but as long as you see her gaining weight and acting normally, try not to worry. She'll probably just be one of the very small ones.

Thank you for helping to ease my mind somewhat! She is pretty feisty with the other chicks when they try to mess with her but I'm thinking I may have to keep her inside with me for a long time! I may have to also think about building my coop a bit bigger if I keep buying chicks to keep her company when the ones with her get too big and have to be moved!
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom