Am I crazy to trust my chickens??

I have a very well built, secure tractor and planned on moving it every few days. Great idea! But like I said, it is very secure and it is also very heavy. My 3 EE and BO enjoy their 4x12 tractor but they enjoy there more then 1/3 of an acre back yard even better. I have lots of large tree cover and plenty of hiding spots. My set up here is quite comfortable as I can see the chickens from my kitchen and living room. If the dogs are in the house, someone will let me know if anything is outside. And I have sent dogs out into the yard several times due to a hawk, stray cat, people and am very selective which dog I send out if there is a stray dog on the other side of the fence.
I have had chickens for over a year now. I live in the city. I know we have racoons and opossum but my yard smells so much like predators that I do not expect them, but am also not stupid enough to think they may not be looking at my tractor (now permanent home). They are going to be out when I am sleeping and relying on my dogs to let me know if there is something outside.
I am also aware that I may loose a chicken to a predator because of my choices. But, like so many here... it is my choice and I am fine with that. I love watching them be "chickens", its great! I love watching them interact with my dogs... and us. My dogs are also protective of the chickens so I have them to help me. And my big dogs can clear my yard in seconds. And my rotwieller will jump 7 ft or so in the air after a hawk. Now that she loves her chickens.
They are great entertainment, give us and our friends great eggs, and they have a wonderful quality of life. So, I say you go! Just know that you may loose one or two to whatever predator. It's about the quality of life.

Now......... on a fun note of the chicken world. Here I am writting this. And this 8 wk old kitten my dogs found 3 weeks ago is loose in the house while the dogs are locked up. My chickens are loose outside and came up to my 6x9 foot window. Kitty saw the ladies for the first time... freaked them out a bit. Then after a few minutes of watching them took off after them and stopped at the glass..................
The ladies took off running and didnt stop for about 75 feet.
Now these birds dont even look up when they hear the thunder of a rotwieller and a german shepherd running past them playing but they run like hell when a 2 lb. kitten charges them! LOLOL to funny.
The ladies still have not come back to the patio.

45854_msnsi.jpeg

Here is a picture of the "great chicken predator" and one of his canine friends.
The 2 lb. wonder, Simon. Too cute.
Watch out for predators of all kinds. And enjoy your animals.

The lady w/4 dogs, 4 city chickens, 4 meat rabbits, their kits, a lizard and the kitty the dogs found who goes to his new home in a couple of weeks........... Yeah! For Simon

Back
Top Bottom