1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Am I dealing with a broken wing??

Discussion in 'Peafowl' started by SuperPeacockman, Feb 6, 2013.

1. SuperPeacockman

SuperPeacockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    I can out to feed the birds today and a young male hatched this summer has a droopy wing, we just moved them so he could have broken it flying into to wire of his new pen or something.[​IMG][/IMG][/IMG]
    He doesn't appear to be in pain but he's not lifting it at all, what should I do???

2. casportpony

casportpony Team Tube Feeding Captain & Poop Inspector General Premium Member

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop
    You should catch him and do a thorough exam, check for bruising, breaks, cuts, tenderness, range of motion, etc. Compare the bad wing to the good one.

3. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    Okay I haven't been able to catch him but my grandpa who has raised birds for decades said it was broken just from looking at him, what do you think the best way to proceed is? Vet? Set it ourselves? I'll try to catch him when the snow clears

4. SuperPeacockman

Sep 1, 2010
    Long Island, NY
    We checked with our local vet and they have discontinued working with birds so I am kind of at a loss. Has anyone dealt with this?

5. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

I have, but I splinted mine right away. I'm no expert, but it probably too late to set it as calcification (healing) has probably already started. Have you caught him yet?

6. new 2 pfowl

new 2 pfowl Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2012
    California
    I'm not sure if this is helpful, but just in case, this is from a Wildlife Rescue volunteer handbook:

[​IMG]

7. johnskoi

johnskoi Chillin' With My Peeps

tristan --- try giving mlvh (i think they're the BEST vet group on the island) a call 298-1177 -- dr. andreisen may make a house call ...

8. casportpony

Jun 24, 2012
    My Coop

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by